Thread: Converting Raw Files Easily?

1. #1 Converting Raw Files Easily? 
    I've been shooting prores hq because it's very convenient. I want to try Raw now.

Once I shoot it Raw, how can I convert it without using its Flexibility as Raw file?

I use Final Cut Pro to edit.

I tried to do it in Davinci but it said my computer is not good enough (imac i5 from 2012)

But I can just upload into the premiere pro however I don't want to use PP to edit.

Can I just upload bunch of files on PP and import the whole thing in a format that FCP will accept? (again I don't want to lose that Flexibility)

No native CinemaDNG support in FCP X, so you'll lose that flexibility.

It was very much hoped that the NLE would one day support it, but it's been 3-4 years now and it looks like it will never happen.

You'll have to do the RAW editing somewhere else and export to ProRes (preferably).

That's bizarre your iMac wouldn't be good enough for Resolve. What are the specs?

The kind of workflow you're describing--where you shoot a high quality codec, edit in a lower quality/less computationally demanding codec, and then link back to the original assets during colour correction or effects work--is called an Offline workflow. I do this because I prefer to cut in FCPX with ProRes Proxy files, and I recommend it for 90% of people I come across. Realtime playback of multiple CinemaDNG streams (especially if you're editing on the road) simply isn't practical, and you don't need the footage to be flexible during the editorial process anyway.

The long and short of it is that raw codec support in any FCP version is limited right now. If you're dead set on shooting raw and you want to do all your finishing work in FCP, you should bring your DNGs into some app that can work with them, set your white balance and exposure to the points where they most match your vision, and then export your footage as ProRes 444XQ in BMDFilm gamma and colour gamut. Short of an EXR/DPX workflow, that's the most flexibility you're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by masterh View Post
    I've been shooting prores hq because it's very convenient. I want to try Raw now.

Once I shoot it Raw, how can I convert it without using its Flexibility as Raw file?

I use Final Cut Pro to edit.

I tried to do it in Davinci but it said my computer is not good enough (imac i5 from 2012)

But I can just upload into the premiere pro however I don't want to use PP to edit.

Can I just upload bunch of files on PP and import the whole thing in a format that FCP will accept? (again I don't want to lose that Flexibility)
    I have the same problem - can't use Resolve & most RAW files won't open in FCP (except the BMCC).

I find "Raw Photo Processor" to be truely amazing, but doesn't do all flavours of ultra compressed RAW - fine with the Pocket flavour of RAW. You can convert to TIFF/JPEG leaving as is or do some slight CC, add a preset curve etc....

I tried to load short raw file on davinci resolve and computer just turned off lol my graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB.

I am looking to upgrade to 2015 imac 5k but it only has AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB. I saw people saying 2GB is not enough.

So I guess I will just have to get used to using Premiere Pro. Looks like it's handling the raw file no problem.

Can anyone answer this?
    I thought shooting Raw video is like shooting Raw photos. When I edit raw photos in lightroom, I have lots of flexibility when it comes to adjusting Shadow, Highlights etc (if there is a shadow on a person's eyes, I can just get rid of that by raising shadow)

Obviously, I don't expect Video Raw file works like this. But I expected a lot more flexibility.

I shot night scene with limited lightings. I usually shoot prores but because of limited lighting, I did Raw for flexibility.

I tried Premiere and Davinci to adjust brightness levels. But it was working just like Final cut pro with Prores file. It doesn't pinpoint particular area.

I tried raising shadow but it was making the clip too faded plus lots of noises showing up (ISO 800)

So I feel like I should've shot with just Prores and save lots of time working around Raw File.
    (I noticed its advantage though. On during day scene, the image looks definitely sharper)

Maybe I did something wrong?