Thread: My new showreel - with a lot of Ursa Mini 4.6K stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My new showreel - with a lot of Ursa Mini 4.6K stuff 
    I just uploaded my new cinematography reel and as there's a lot of Ursa Mini stuff in the first part,
    I thought it might be interesting for some guys here.

Auge_2.9.1.jpg

https://vimeo.com/208444259

Please let me know if it's too long.
    Last edited by Christian Haake; 03-15-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added link
    Christian Haake / cinematographer / Austria / www.christianhaake.net / Reel: https://vimeo.com/208444259

Really nice work Christian. Better get that new camera ready cuz I think you're going to be busy!

Haha! Yes, that would be good. Thanks.
    Christian Haake / cinematographer / Austria / www.christianhaake.net / Reel: https://vimeo.com/208444259

KILLER stuff, man.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

The actual content in this reel is awesome! However, I am not a fan of how it's put together.

The 3 acts thing is a cute idea and fun because it's "meta," but I can't help but feel like it's purpose is to artificially add length to the reel.

Opening Title - 20 seconds.

1st act intermission - 10 seconds.

2nd act intermission - 6 seconds.

3rd act intermission - 20 seconds.

So almost a minute of your reel is spent just waiting. Many people say a reel should be 2 minutes. So half of that is going to titles right now.

Also, separating things into their own category makes each respective area look empty. When done like this, it's glaringly apparent that all that car footage was from a single job. Same goes for the feature film.

The three acts idea (as it stands, at least) also makes it look like you couldn't decide what tone to go with.

Just my $0.02.

Edit: I think some of your best stuff happens in that third act, you should start strong at the beginning of the reel and not tuck it away for the end.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 03-16-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    Aaron Lochert

Christian, can I get you a coffee or a cold water? Anything just to hang with you while you create these cinematic marvels.

I was gonna say "this reel is too long" when I started watching but the content is really high quality and no fillers so it doesn't feel long. Amazing work man.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    KILLER stuff, man.
    Thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    Christian, can I get you a coffee or a cold water? Anything just to hang with you while you create these cinematic marvels.
    Oh Rick, you're so nice. I hope so much to come to Canada sometime and to drink a coffee with you! And you're always welcome to visit Vienna, it's well known for its good coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    The actual content in this reel is awesome! However, I am not a fan of how it's put together.

The 3 acts thing is a cute idea and fun because it's "meta," but I can't help but feel like it's purpose is to artificially add length to the reel.

Opening Title - 20 seconds.

1st act intermission - 10 seconds.

2nd act intermission - 6 seconds.

3rd act intermission - 20 seconds.

So almost a minute of your reel is spent just waiting. Many people say a reel should be 2 minutes. So half of that is going to titles right now.

Also, separating things into their own category makes each respective area look empty. When done like this, it's glaringly apparent that all that car footage was from a single job. Same goes for the feature film.

The three acts idea (as it stands, at least) also makes it look like you couldn't decide what tone to go with.

Just my $0.02.

Edit: I think some of your best stuff happens in that third act, you should start strong at the beginning of the reel and not tuck it away for the end.
    Hi Aaron, thanks for your critique.

I understand what you mean. I made the opening title when I absolutely didn't know, how to put the different stuff together and yes I should shorten it.

The idea of the 3 acts thing was necessary because I didn't want to mix the different genres too wild. Without it I think a red thread that connects it would be missing, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I see if I can shorten it a bit or at least the last part which is almost 2.5 minutes.

About the car footage, yes you see it's obviously from the same job (we only had 5 hours for everything), but because I'd like to make more stuff like this, I thought I make an own act, maybe it works )

Thanks again for your time,
    Christian