Thread: Big URSA is dead.....has to be when they are giving them away free.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    This is my view and my opinion. I believe and subscribe to it. Allow me to share. I own an URSA and will keep my URSA. I am not defending it. I don't need an upgrade or a new camera. What I need is to make more movies for which I enjoy doing and get the satisfaction to seeing the story on the screen. The URSA is just as complete, or more in certain cases, to other cinema cameras. I can understand that it is not as flexible because of its size or weight, or because of this or that. In the right hands, a good story, and good direction, especially for those with very little budget, it is very capable.

As cinematographers, my opinion is to stop toying around with the toys and go make good movies with what we can afford, available to us, with the least cost to make it happen. It can be an iPhone, Chinese knock-off equipment, or whatever that one can afford. If you can afford a UM Pro, RED, or Arri, good. If you can only afford a DSLR, fine. If you have an URSA 4K V1 or you have the budget for the discounted price, go for it. It really doesn't matter. Creative use and imagination will tame the beast and bring out beauty. We need to get over it.

If you can get an URSA 4K V1 now at the good deal now, buy it, own it, learn it, use it to make your next picture. Don't worry about obsolescence. At the end, what sells is what you create and what your audience will pay for to watch. It's not about the camera or you... but how you have used that [whatever] camera and equipment to bring out your best. I always tell myself to not be played by vendor's marketing specs and objectives. That's a recipe for disaster (over budget - personal or on a project). If I'm in need of certain camera and equipment because of client spec, that's when I rent and make my client pay for the rental cost. Outside of that, I use what I have and I suggest you do too. I really meant well here. End of rant. GO MAKE MOVIES.

Cheers.

Ya, I would say the real winners are people who are now able to get their hands on an Ursa 4k for cheap now. Global shutter, raw, great frame rates, if they can work with the form factor, it's still a very functioning camera. Blackmagic's decision to 'abandon' the turrets doesn't make it a better or worse camera than it already was.

The real losers are current URSA owners, and in a big way. No turrets, and now the resale value of the URSA's will plummet.

I appreciate that EYu, but I'm down for both -- I make and sell my movies *and* use some of that money to feed my gear lust.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 03-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    I appreciate that EYu, but I'm down for both -- I make and sell my movies *and* use some of that money to feed my gear lust.
    And I think that's perfectly alright if the sale makes more than enough to feed anyone's gear lust and some. I have seen struggling folks and productions fail because their lust for gears outweigh what they can deliver and sale. A few small production shops I once envied for their very cool and expensive gears have closed their doors and the owners are still neck deep in debt from gear purchases and little or no sell to even break even.

[QUOTE=mstrouty;233694]Ya, I would say the real winners are people who are now able to get their hands on an Ursa 4k for cheap now. Global shutter, raw, great frame rates, if they can work with the form factor, it's still a very functioning camera. Blackmagic's decision to 'abandon' the turrets doesn't make it a better or worse camera than it already was.
    The real losers are current URSA owners, and in a big way. No turrets, and now the resale value of the URSA's will plummet.[/QUOT

Not really, you do not not buy a camera today, with its resale value in mind, each year that goes by, a camera's value goes down, as new improved tech comes along. You get a camera and use it today, to shoot your projects as EYu pointed out, it's not entirely the camera, it is How you use it that counts. Case in point, my AF100A sold for $4K when new, I upgraded when the cost of a new camera went down to $2K, today I would be hard pressed to find a buyer for it. But it did what I needed at the time, as still does, shoots interviews very nicely.
    Several Hollywood movies used this camera, one shot mostly on it.

Same goes for the Ursa, would live to get the PL model, but do I need it right now, no, same goes for the new Ursa Mini Pro, which would closer meet my needs, but the GS on the Big Ursa would be grand!
    Cheers

Is this being offered anywhere else? Link in OP requires registration but that process seems to be bugged on the site. Adorama had it but now it's sold out or not available. Thanks.

Thank you! Only offers to preorder but went ahead and did it.

Seems odd that B & H would have it as a pre order, as at best it should be clearing stock on hand. I assumed they were working an angle on the ursa loyalty deal by including v1 ursa pl, which they had already marked down to $2999 a while back, hence the final price of $500 over the mini pro alone. They have a lot of pull so maybe are able to bring in more warehouse stock to extend the deal.

I haven't found any Canadian dealers making this offer, although none seem to have big ursa said in stock, Vistek for example lists the 4K pl as special order for $6000, I doubt they sell many.

I would love to be able to jump on this deal, but funding is not in place, also international pre orders are charged in full right away, so if we end up with an extended wait for regular 4.6 deliveries I'm out the cash and no camera, though I'm sure the big ursa's will go out as soon as re stocked. Further if there are any sensor issues may be trickier doing returns, with customs and all...

Sigh, like I said before, I'd take the $500 ursa at cost, for anyone ordering just because it's a great deal, but doesn't really need it. You'd be giving a boost to no budget filmmaking in a non industry town without rental options.we've done 2 features on pocket and looking to step up a bit.

It's just a temporary "preorder"....the URSA PL is not in stock.

It will change when they get more.