Thread: Big URSA is dead.....has to be when they are giving them away free.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I just ordered the bundle, it's too good to pass on it.
    I was going to buy the pro anyway. $500 more to get an URSA PL v1 is a no brainer.

curious, if I was to pick up this bundle, could i hypothetically send the URSA 4k to BMD for a (paid) upgrade from v1 to v2?
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Zak, you could ask BMD, but I don’t believe that option has been offered in the past. Honestly, when the 4.6K turrets are released, most people will upgrade their $495 URSA 4K v1 to the latest and greatest.

I wouldn't count on a 4.6 turret as a reason to get one, but it has its own advantages like global shutter. I'm sure it's to clear old stock ov v1 pl mounts, but if they sell out, and everyone demands the turret upgrade, then maybe there will be enough to justify the release. Remember the press conference where Grant said the numbers needed fo the upgrade wasn't high enough, they are about profit after all.

Could also be a bit of a bait and switch, well not really switch but maybe hold back. They are no doubt sold out of the first run of mini pro, and likely will not keep up with demand for months as usual. This deal clears old stock and gives buyers something to shoot on while happily waiting for what they really want.

The guy that coverts Russian still glass to PL could have a booming business for a while as people look for a cheap way to shoot with it.

Rick, Grant cited having issues creating a 4.6K turret as the reason for the upgrade offer. You're clearly an optimist to read that as 4.6K turret is still coming but delayed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's dead. I don't see BMD pursuing any more turrets for the URSA.

But who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    Zak, you could ask BMD, but I don’t believe that option has been offered in the past. Honestly, when the 4.6K turrets are released, most people will upgrade their $495 URSA 4K v1 to the latest and greatest.
    Wow, so you really ARE holding out that this magical 4.6 turret will actually get released. Personally, I think you'll have an easier finding a unicorn.

Anyone remember when they first announced the Ursa there was a body that was basically a recording deck with a platform to mount a bmpcc, mirrorless, dslr? It was a great idea that could make those small cameras much more production friendly. Pics and prices where on the BMD site...then it magically disappeared, not a word.

Wonder what the Las Vegas odds makers are thinking. It might be a coin toss, but I'm sure BMD will not be able to brush aside the inquiries they'll have in many interviews at NAB 2017 unless they make a formal announcement.

Just dawned on me that if you can sell the resolve dongle for $500' you would be getting big ursa for free. I assume the big ursa includes its copy of resolve. Checking to see if any of my m42 lenses would fit in the Russian adapter

My money is on the turrets still being released but I think this version of the Ursa body is done. I think we'll see something larger than the mini with more functionality (frame rates, internal nd, maybe global shutter) better ergonomics like the ump and much lighter than the current Ursa. They'll figure out the turret for the current body but that'll be the end of the line for the big boy. Its benefits are literally outweighed but its drawbacks.