Thread: URSA Mini 4.6 PRO Coming Tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 URSA Mini 4.6 PRO Coming Tomorrow 
    The last camera I bought was a Bolex 16mm. I always rent.

But now I am settling back, not working for cash, just making videos for me.

So I have a Pro coming tomorrow - Tuesday. I will be going the PL route, but I am holding off buying anything until I see the new Sigma primes.

That means I need a cheap but decent EF lens to play around with on my new camera for a few months.

What would be a good choice? A zoom would obviously be better since I will have only a single lens, although I prefer primes.

A Rokinon DS 35mm for around $600 (the most I will pay for a toy lens), or how about a used Tokina AF-28 70mm f2.6-2.8 AT-X PRO?

Any suggestions?

The nifty fifties are always considered some of the best lenses for the money...I have the f/1.8 STM version in the case (just because) and it would be great as a "toy" lens. (It's actually a pretty sharp lens.)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_1_8_stm.html

I have the Samyang version of the DS 35mm prime lens. I have owned quite a lot of glass and have shot with Zeiss, pro series Canon lenses and cheaper lenses too. I can see the difference. I know the difference. If you purchase the DS 35mm prime, I think you might be surprised by the quality of the image. If price is your parameter, I suppose you can continue to call it a "toy" but I feel like many would be hard pressed to identify the difference between this and lenses costing far more. I concur with NorBro. The inexpensive canon 50's aren't bad but I prefer manual aperture control for video work. Still, the price on the DS 50mm is over $500. The Canon 50 1.4 is under $350 and the Canon 50 1.8 is only $125.

As you pointed out, if you are going to get the best value for your buck with some of these "bargain" lenses, I feel like sticking with primes is a good strategy.

I have a Tokina 28-70 AT-X Pro. Unfortunately, its the 2.8 version....much softer than ANY of the aforementioned primes. I know this is not the zoom you are looking considering but even so, I can't imagine it comparing to these primes. The DS 85mm T1.5 is also quite good at around $400 though is gets a bit soft on the edges wide open; more so than the 35.

BTW....my URSA Mini Pro arrives tomorrow also!!!

The Mitakon Zhongyi have some interesting choices too.

Quote Originally Posted by SCasarella View Post
    how about a used Tokina AF-28 70mm f2.6-2.8 AT-X PRO?
    Canon also made 28-70 F2.8 zoom (L), and these lenses are still really good. You can pick up a good used copy for around $500-600 range.

Quote Originally Posted by SCasarella View Post
    The last camera I bought was a Bolex 16mm. I always rent.

But now I am settling back, not working for cash, just making videos for me.

So I have a Pro coming tomorrow - Tuesday. I will be going the PL route, but I am holding off buying anything until I see the new Sigma primes.

That means I need a cheap but decent EF lens to play around with on my new camera for a few months.

What would be a good choice? A zoom would obviously be better since I will have only a single lens, although I prefer primes.

A Rokinon DS 35mm for around $600 (the most I will pay for a toy lens), or how about a used Tokina AF-28 70mm f2.6-2.8 AT-X PRO?

Any suggestions?
    I have the Angenieux designed Tokina 28-70 for sale if you're interested.

BMCuser Sponsor
    Don't waste any time:

http://amzn.to/2noY7xL

Get a used one from $612 - $689

Worth every penny.

I have a deal just for you and your URSA Mini Pro 4.6K EF/PL camera:

Take a look at the SLR Magic T2.1 APO primes that are sold in a titanium PL mount. Those will be useful in a few months. But also buy the SLR Magic EF mount designed for those APO primes as I did. You simply unscrew the PL mount from the APO lens and screw on the SLRM EF mount. Now both the APO PL lenses and the replacement EF mount are manual, no electronics, but I'm sure you're comfortable with that. So no extra lenses to buy that aren't likely going to see much use once you convert your camera to the PL mount.

Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    Don't waste any time:

http://amzn.to/2noY7xL

Get a used one from $612 - $689

Worth every penny.
    Seconded.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Quote Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
    Seconded.
    For sure! I was hesitant to buy the 18-35 a few years ago, but now it is on my camera 90% of the time.