Thread: Best IR Cut Filter for Ursa Mini 4.6k

1. #1 Best IR Cut Filter for Ursa Mini 4.6k 
    Hey guys!

I'm a recent new owner of the Ursa Mini 4.6K and after doing some test runs with the camera and watching a few Youtube videos, I'm in need of an IR cut filter. What do you all suggest?

Firecrest IR Cut filter.

Also the NiSi Nano filters work great, according to Rick's recent testing on a UM 4.6.
    Cheers

Love the Heliopan Digital Filter (IR CUT). It cuts at 680nm. I can use whatever ND filtration I want, that I get accurate color separation all the time. True with heavy tungsten lighting as well.

On the cheaper end - the HOYA UV/IR filters are perfectly matched to Blackmagic sensors and they perform flawlessly, but they max out at 82mm screw-on, so that might not work with your needs.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

If you want a once n done solution, the new Mosaic OLPF for the Ursa Mini has IR cut that is supposed to be modeled off of the Hoya UV/IR cut (which I swear by and as DPStewart said are perfectly matched to BM). Plus you'd get a reduction in aliasing and moire....it's a no brainer to me. Never have to worry about changing filters from lens to lens, or buying one for each lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor_R View Post
    If you want a once n done solution, the new Mosaic OLPF for the Ursa Mini has IR cut that is supposed to be modeled off of the Hoya UV/IR cut (which I swear by and as DPStewart said are perfectly matched to BM). Plus you'd get a reduction in aliasing and moire....it's a no brainer to me. Never have to worry about changing filters from lens to lens, or buying one for each lens.
    It won't be available for another 4-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Love the Heliopan Digital Filter (IR CUT). It cuts at 680nm. I can use whatever ND filtration I want, that I get accurate color separation all the time. True with heavy tungsten lighting as well.
    I second that.

I use them since day one on my BMCC and all my BM cameras.
    Never shoot anything without it - ND or not.

You haven't mentioned if you want screw-on filters or matte box filters. Remember your needs today may change tomorrow. So you need to think about the maximum size you expect to use in the future. You also haven't mentioned what lenses you plan to use especially the widest lens you'll use. There's a lot of information already in this thread but much more in various other threads in this forum. You haven't mentioned your budget.

Take a look at the latest test I posted here last week. I use four different kinds of filters that either cut or attenuate infrared light. Three of them are in my latest videos. I recently purchased a full set of NiSi Nano IRND 4x5.65" filters that are effective at reducing infrared as well as visible light and they are the most economical of the best performing IRND rectangular filters. They are also in screw-on sizes I believe. My SLR Magic Image Enhancer Pro also attenuate infrared, and my 86mm B+W 486 MRC IR Cut screw on will cut infrared beginning around 680 nm which will be effective on a wide range of lenses.

But for very wide lenses, these IR Cut 680 nm filters may cut further into deep red and take some of the colour out of your skin tones. I'll be doing more tests on that hopefully next week. For very wide lenses, the rectangular Schneider True-Cut 715 nm filter might be a better choice.

By the way, all of the recommendations mentioned are good products.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 03-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.