Thread: Ursa Mini with Miller 1501 Solo Tripod Legs

1. #1 Ursa Mini with Miller 1501 Solo Tripod Legs 
    Does anyone use these Miller legs with the Ursa mini? I just wanna know how stable it is. Does it not flex/wobble a bit when fully extended with the Ursa Mini on top of it? If it does, how bad? I'm thinking of just getting the Aluminium version rather than carbon fibre.

I want to use it on a dolly system, so as little wobble and vibrations as possible would be great. I plan on using it with my Manfrotto MVH502 head.

Another option is the Sachtler Ace L(Freddie Wong edition)

I can't afford to go higher than that. Would prefer the Miller legs as I really like the portability of them.

My set up isn't too heavy, Ursa Mini, 130wh V-lock, Lens usually a Tokina 11 - 16mm or Zeiss contax 50mm. If I use a 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS it will usually be locked off anyway with me taking extra care of it.

The 1501 is rated for 44-lbs, so it should be fine. That said, fully extended, tripods like this are going to have more shake, then when the third ext. is not used.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 03-13-2017 at 12:51 AM.

I have the Solo VJ 100mm legs and they are fantastic and solid. UM46, Sachtler DV10

I don't pay too much attention on load estimation for tripod legs. I've seen some very wobbly ones regardless how light the load is. With a few exception all modern carbon fibre including many aluminium sticks will flex and wobble to various degree if you push it hard with your pans. If you want to keep wobble and flex to absolute minimum on a dolly I recommend a light weight pedestal with a solid center column support right under the head to absorb all the movement of the head. Pedestals are normally for studio use with flat surface and less in field use because of the weight but if you have a crew that would be fine.

It's a great tripod for what it is (light, portable, tall & affordable) but I find the biggest challenge, especially when adding extra weight, is the twisting. When finishing a pan you can get an ever so slight backlash. This can be very noticeable when you're on a long lens.

I've owned the Miller Solo VJ (100mm bowl) and currently the Manfrotto 536CF. They are both great as light weight options, and for use in tight and off angle locations (stadium seating area, behind bars, etc. ( ie: I"m constantly unlocking a leg and sticking it out at an odd angle- which is why I have it to begin with- as a second tripod) The Solo VJ is slightly sturdier than the 536CF, but the 536CF is much faster to deploy when working without a dedicated assistant camera helping. The 536CF is cheaper by $300 compared to the Solo VJ, which doesn't hurt. Miller probably has better resale value.

If you don't want the tripod to not twist I find the Ronford light weight 2 stage aluminum tripod sturdier/stiffer than Sachtler's heavy CF speed lock legs. My Ronford is heavy and both Ronford and Sachtler cost way too much.
    karlkimdp.com

very good shout on the 536CF, I find those twist locks on the Miller a bit irritating, not sure what the appeal is to them...The legs themselves though I can't fault at all.