Thread: CFast card won't read. How to turn single DNG frames into video

1. #1 CFast card won't read. How to turn single DNG frames into video 
    Hello, I was recently shooting on ursa mini 4.6k and experienced something new and frightening. I was shooting at higher frame rates. I formatted a Lexar C Fast card 3600X in camera (OSX) and proceeded to shoot. I shot a few test clips in 1080 120 frames and 4.6K 60 frames to make sure I wasn't getting any flicker from the overhead location lights. The two test clips I shot played back no problem. Then I started shooting, switching frame rates and codecs. I have done this a dozen times already with zero issues. So I get home and the card simply will not read. The camera will also no longer recognize the card. I used mac utility disk to assess the situation and still nothing. I used wondershare to recover the data and it seems like this has worked. But it saves the files to my hard drive. My questions are: Why did this happen? Is there anything I can do to recover the footage on the card without using wondershare? DNG files have been recover but they are going to be saved as single frames listed from 1-100k, 200k-300k frames etc. How can I convert these single frames back into footage so that I can edit it in Davinci? Any help or advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Sounds like some sort of card corruption, which has occurred in different ways for people over time.

(The first question you'll be asked is which FW is your camera running.)

If Resolve imports hundreds of frames rather than the individual clips of what you've recovered, the file is most likely gone. (There might be some sort of repair software out there that can combine your DNGs and make a file that Resolve will be able to naturally work with.)

Other options; you'll have to use photo editing software if you need RAW control. Besides that, you can drop the recovered DNGs into your NLE (set the duration of each DNG to 1 frame) and export a high-quality file to edit that.

If you are on a Mac you can use QT7 Pro to open an image sequence. From there you can export it with whatever codec you want, you'll probably be locked out of the raw tab but you can still export to Prores 4:4:4 (10 bit), Animation, Uncompressed, etc.,

Good Luck

Last I checked, you couldn't open .DNGs with QT7...can you?

Apparently you can't, my bad. I guess you'd have to batch convert them to something like tiff with ACR or similar if you wanted to use the QT option.

ACR or Lightroom to JPEGs...circa 2012 BMCC old school days back when Resolve barely worked and no one knew what the heck CinemaDNG is, haha.

Ok so I have an update. I was able to successfully recover each DNG frame from the slow motion footage I shot. At least I think every frame is there. I shot it raw but it doesn't look raw at all. Unfortunately the frames are out of order. I dropped them in my timeline. They are all out of order. Fortunately this was test footage. But its like gold to me. Any ideas how I can put them all back in order? I need baby steps here. All I have is Davinci Resolve to edit with. Any and all help is very much appreciated. My other concern is what I can do with this card that fucked up my footage. Is it usable?

CFast card issues like above is not unusual and comes in many different ways. It is not only BMD cameras that it happens on. We had Similar situations happened on the Canons too. It is a nice storage technology but somewhat unstable. Heat and very high frame rates are situations where they get volatile and doesn’t matter what the brand is. It always makes me nervous using them. But there's really no option to date that brings confidence using CFast cards on production set, other than crossing your fingers and testing/offloading the content every so often (almost every scene for insurance.