Thread: And Blackmagic is the only one with problems

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    lol, that's because the cameras are cheaper. Not many guys running around with $15K+ cameras in comparison.

Maybe more Ravens would be flying around if they were readily available.
    At a media training department in a local university they have BMCC cameras, you could say they bought it because the cost is not so high. There is a large local production company who use BMPC 4K for their TV drama over Alexa which they hired previously, the DP recommened BMPC 4k also mention about cost saving but clearly they were not short of cash but made sense in increasing the profit margin with camera purchase rather than continue hiring even though on many occassion I felt better lighting was needed in indoor scene when shooting with the 4k sensor.

RED Raven would have been popular here if RED accessories were affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    lol, that's because the cameras are cheaper. Not many guys running around with $15K+ cameras in comparison.

Maybe more Ravens would be flying around if they were readily available.
    Red Raven is pretty much a 15k camera to get up and running.

A very good and creative cinematographer can take amazing footage on a BMPCC or BMCC than a novice who thinks highly of an URSA 4.6K, $15K Red mentioned above, or Alexa and spending the money on every new camera that comes out each year. It won't deliver the results that a creative cinematographer can. To me that is just a waste. Hone your skills and the camera won't matter. If you can't do that, no camera will deliver images to your expectations and that of your audience. IMO, the BMCC is more than sufficient and an excellent camera over any other URSA or RED to date. It's durable, versatile, great color science, and cheap!

... and if you have a project with the budget and requirements of using an URSA, RED, Alexa then just rent the camera you need. It save you from all the concerns about ROI, repair/service costs, accessorizing headaches, and upgrades. That's the way to go.
    Last edited by EYu; 03-12-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    A very good and creative cinematographer can take amazing footage on a BMPCC or BMCC than a novice who thinks highly of an URSA 4.6K, $15K Red mentioned above
    While I completely agree, both of those cameras have really bad ergonomics and no amount of skill is going to overcome that. I would much rather spend more and get something that I enjoy shooting with.

Not least bad jello on BMCC sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafilman21 View Post
    I would wager RED is doing just fine financially and all my DSMC2 stuff works perfectly as well as many others are as well. Few bad apples happen, I also never had any problems with BM cameras, so maybe I am just blessed
    Jarred hints otherwise especially in regards to the raven, and how it's hurting them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    Red Raven is pretty much a 15k camera to get up and running.
    You could keep it below $10K, especially for those who grabbed the body for $6K before the $1000 price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    Jarred hints otherwise especially in regards to the raven, and how it's hurting them.
    Jarred said that they lose money on the Raven true, but show me a quote where he says they are suffering financially as a whole? I assure you what they "lose" on every Raven they sell they make it up with accessories. RED is doing just fine they are selling cameras like hot cakes and with those cameras a ton of accessories.

From that 'Thank You.' post last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The upgrade options, the financing plans, the breaks on pricing... that's not what any company in their right mind would do when they already have more demand and backorders than they can handle and releasing something brand new that they should charge more for instead of discounting and pushing out at our own expense.
    Seems like they are okay.