Thread: The Mosaic V2 OPLF is now available

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Could be changing light conditions. I was worried the change in leaf shininess moght be some.sprt of unintented polarisation.effect, but a cloud would soften the light and darken the image. Hope that's the case. I'd love this thing to work well!
    James Iain Barber
    Editor, writer, director, shooter, yadda yadda.

I have not seen any green tint - i think that's just an optical reaction to looking at the filtered image immediately after looking at the un-filtered image that has more red in it.

I have not yet put my meat-hooks on either of these filters in my own cameras, but the RawLight seems to soften the image less than the Mosaic.... although that could just be the testing practices of the individuals who shot them.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I have not seen any green tint - i think that's just an optical reaction to looking at the filtered image immediately after looking at the un-filtered image that has more red in it.

I have not yet put my meat-hooks on either of these filters in my own cameras, but the RawLight seems to soften the image less than the Mosaic.... although that could just be the testing practices of the individuals who shot them.
    yeah, i think you'd really have to do a side by side to know the differences, because if i understand them correctly, these filters target specific *frequencies* of detail that will not be the same unless you've got the exact same thing framed up. i'm sure someone will tell me if i've got that wrong.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 03-14-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    yeah, i think you'd really have to do a side by side to know the differences, because if i understand them correctly, these filters target specific *frequencies* of detail that will not be the same unless you've the exact same thing framed up. i'm sure someone will tell me if i've got that wrong.
    I have the Mosaic on my pocket and the Rawlite on my Micro, I've done various tests: the softness is the same between the two filters and there is no noticeable light loss or tint btw with and without filter.

Any updates? Are they shipping yet?

I'm also interested in the mosaic filter for the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I've emailed mosaicengineering but haven't got a response yet...

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    I'm also interested in the mosaic filter for the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I've emailed mosaicengineering but haven't got a response yet...

i wrote them about the current design but dave cubanski offered this about the upcoming ursa mini filter in his last email to me:

"By the way, for the Ursa Mini filter, actually I've found a way to make a significant improvement in the anti-aliasing performance. The Ursa Mini filter is going to be a newer and more sophisticated optical design, where we get even better rejection of moire and aliasing artifacts, without impacting image sharpness, as compared to the underlying design used in the Micro Cinema Camera. I've got some test video comparing the performance of the new filter design in an Ursa Mini, with the same problematic fabrics imaged with our "standard" filter design (scaled to the Ursa Mini pixel pitch) and then again with the newer, more sophisticated design. With our "standard" design filter, it's always been the case that sometimes there were some remaining residues of moire artifacts still visible even with the filter. For the Ursa Mini, I set out to improve the design to try to kill _all_ of the moire artifacts, completely. The new design actually does a good job of this; I'll be putting the video tests up on Vimeo as soon as I can get a chance! But then again, this is a more complex filter design with more layers to the filter, and at this point we can't really apply it to the Micro Cinema Camera; in the Micro Cinema Camera our filter is severely thickness-constrained by the need to be compatible with the Speedboosters. Unless we were to move towards a design that replaces the blue-green glass in the camera... But when we tried this in the past, we had several customers who had significant problems with dust getting into the sensor cavity; once the blue-green glass is removed it becomes about impossible to keep the sensor environment completely clean from then on."
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

That does sound impressive, but how long does it take to post a comparison video on Vimeo. An hour?

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    That does sound impressive, but how long does it take to post a comparison video on Vimeo. An hour?
    Give or take . . .

https://vimeo.com/209470605

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fiorita View Post
    Give or take . . .

https://vimeo.com/209470605
    Well...the new filter for the URSA Mini is DA BOMB.
    Right on the money!
    Very impressive.

At this point I think BMD should consider buying them out.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine