Thread: 4.6k Sensor Checklist

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalinnovations View Post
    Less than the 800 ISO DNG from my samples or do you mean less than previously seen from the 4.6k @ 1600 ISO?
    Your samples. Here's the lower right corner of the f/5.6 DNGs. (right click, open in new tab, to avoid any potential scaling issues with the forum)

1600 ISO:

800 ISO:

Do note that this was prepped with a ton of extra contrast, much beyond usable situations, but makes it easier to display what I was seeing before any contrast was added.

I do want to say your ISO 400 f/5.6 clip seems wonky, the brightness is uneven, perhaps a mistake in the test. So maybe this 1600/800 discrepancy was also a mistake. Please try again and see if you can verify what I'm seeing here.

Maybe the added noise is dithering the noise pattern a little? Anyone else?
    Aaron Lochert

Thank you, Lochness, for taking the time to give some input and post those - that is what I was hoping for here. That does not look so promising. On the FPN / crosshatching DNGs I posted that also looks a little serious; to my eye anyway and I'm not familiar with that is deemed "acceptable".

I am actually going to grab a couple more shots this morning (hopefully to make my final evaluation) so while that is set up I will also grab additional magenta vignette tests. I'll post those later today.

OK, well here are some of my DNG's from the weekend.

This is my first shoot with the Ursa Mini Pro. I got one of the first from the factory.

These are also my first shot's with the new SLR Magic APO primes (which I like a lot after this shoot by the way)

There is more to come from this shoot and on these lenses, however, here are the ND filter tests, which co-incidentaly, feature some deep T stops.

I shot the new single Ursa Mini Pro that I have, using both the INTERNAL ND's and my own LEE IRND's (using clear)

As a check I also shot one of my Ursa Mini 4.6Ks. NOTE ! This particular Ursa mini has a large magenta offset in WB. I routinely run the tint at -39 on this camera to match the default tint of "10". This actual body was the "A" body on a series I did recently and the WB offset wasn't an issue, BUT, when you load these files the ursa mini files will still look very Magenta. This will lead some of you to conclude that the IR contamination is bad. It's not as bad though as you think it will be if you don't read and understand this note.

To really understand the true differences in ND you need to normalise the WB first.

So.

There's a few SLR Magic 25mm APO shots at T8 of the urban environment, clouds and concrete.

The ND tests were shot with a Zeiss CP2 50mm.

UMP = Ursa Mini Pro
    UM = Ursa Mini
    Lee = Lee IR ND filters
    INT= Internal ND

http://bit.ly/2njiKhY

Download the files, don't just look at the DNG web previews and draw a conclusion. For some reason they look their absolute worst in the web preview. Open them in PS or Resolve and show me otherwise.

JB

This is looking pretty good to me!

Here’s a quick video based on the DNG stills John provided in the earlier post:

password UMP46K

https://vimeo.com/208395864

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    OK, well here are some of my DNG's from the weekend.

This is my first shoot with the Ursa Mini Pro. I got one of the first from the factory.

These are also my first shot's with the new SLR Magic APO primes (which I like a lot after this shoot by the way)

There is more to come from this shoot and on these lenses, however, here are the ND filter tests, which co-incidentaly, feature some deep T stops.

I shot the new single Ursa Mini Pro that I have, using both the INTERNAL ND's and my own LEE IRND's (using clear)

As a check I also shot one of my Ursa Mini 4.6Ks. NOTE ! This particular Ursa mini has a large magenta offset in WB. I routinely run the tint at -39 on this camera to match the default tint of "10". This actual body was the "A" body on a series I did recently and the WB offset wasn't an issue, BUT, when you load these files the ursa mini files will still look very Magenta. This will lead some of you to conclude that the IR contamination is bad. It's not as bad though as you think it will be if you don't read and understand this note.

To really understand the true differences in ND you need to normalise the WB first.

So.

There's a few SLR Magic 25mm APO shots at T8 of the urban environment, clouds and concrete.

The ND tests were shot with a Zeiss CP2 50mm.

UMP = Ursa Mini Pro
    UM = Ursa Mini
    Lee = Lee IR ND filters
    INT= Internal ND

http://bit.ly/2njiKhY

Download the files, don't just look at the DNG web previews and draw a conclusion. For some reason they look their absolute worst in the web preview. Open them in PS or Resolve and show me otherwise.

JB
    Hey John,
    Thanks for sharing those images in such an honest and forthright manner.
    If I am not mistaken though, those look like magenta corners on the UMP (SLRMAGIC_25mm_f8Clouds.dng (3/14) and
    SLRMAGIC_25mm_F8_UMP.dng (1/14) for instance).
    Am I wrong about this ? I would assume that vignetting from the new lens would not be an issue because it is at f8.
    I would say that your original UM looks far better in this regard (no discernible magenta corners).
    What is your conclusion about this ?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback...
    Last edited by yoclay; 03-14-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

If JB only got his first Mini Pro to play with now like anyone who ordered on day one then I get the feeling BMD might have something else they consider "new" that worthy of beta testing. Surely NAB will be a better platform to announce new cameras.

What concerns me and continues to keep me from advancing with BM is the fact that the QC at the beginning of their production runs appears to still be a problem. The UM Pro that JB showed appears to have magenta corners compared to his Ursa Mini. This unreliability from camera to camera continues to plague them and makes it a really hard sell for me with clients. However, still waiting for JB's comments on this, so maybe I have missed something here...
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    The UM Pro that JB showed appears to have magenta corners compared to his Ursa Mini.
    Odd. I have the exact opposite takeaway after balancing both images.

Ursa Mini full frame:

Ursa Mini Pro full frame:

Ursa Mini center crop:

Ursa Mini Pro center crop:

Ursa Mini corner crop:

Ursa Mini Pro corner crop:

\_(ツ)_/
    Aaron Lochert

Thanks for sharing John. These are revealing (and while improved, still disappointing)
    Last edited by Steve Madsen; 03-15-2017 at 03:29 PM.