Thread: Multiple GPU cards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Multiple GPU cards 
    I'm looking at adding another GPU card. How does Da Vinci Resolve 12.5.x Studio utilize more than one GPU Cards? Can anyone explain how it distribute processing load, etc.? If each card has 8Gb of VRAM and let's say you have two cards (total of 16Gb of VRAM), does Resolve Studio take advantage of more VRAM?
    Last edited by EYu; 03-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Resolve will use all the cuda cores, but will see only the lowest amount of vram in any compute card

Each card processes frames independently of other cards. So more cores are better, and more GPU ram in each card is better. The lowest performing card, which includes the lowest GPU ram, will dictate the fastest the system can operate.

Is this true for Open CL cards as well? If one card is connected to the display, can it work as a compute card or just GUI? How will it be recognized by Resolve?

Just to follow-up on my previous post question, I have 2 GPU cards - both the same GPU (AMD Radeon R9 390X) and amount of VRAMS (8Gb) on each card. In the DaVinci Resolve Studio Preference, it shows as 2 GPU but one of it has it marked as "GUI Only."

gpu.JPG

Does this mean that the card marked as GUI Only is only used for output to monitor and not used for additional compute / processing by Resolve? If not, can someone explain how those GPU's are used?

I'm just also going to mentioned that those GUI cards are configured in a CROSSFIRE configuration. What I heard before is that Resolve does not support nVidia SLI or AMD Crossfire. Has that changed in 12.5.5?

@EYu

I can't answer your question, but it's pretty easy for you to test. Render a sequence with both cards in the machine. Pull out one card. Render the same sequence again. Compare the results.

Well originally I just had 1 card. It did not have the "GUI only" displayed next to it. When playing back a 4K footage that has some effects and multiple nodes, I would get some yellow and red lights intermittently, especially when it hits frames that have effects or parallel node grades. Adding the second card now I would get 99.9% green light. When not green it is yellow but no red. Frame rates improved dramatically. So okay there is improvement. That's all cool but how do I know how it is spreading the load and is the card marked a GUI only also shares the processing or not? Should I get a third video card with a slow gpu or Intel gpu just for GUI only and freeing up the 2 R9 GPUs? Will that make it better? All those are questions I have and understanding how Resolve allocate gpu resources might help me plan things out.

Well, you can install a program that monitors your GPU activity. If you're on Windows 7, there's a desktop gadget called 'GPU Monitor' which works great.

Thanks I'll look for it. I am using the utility that came with the GPU card but it just does not provide god info. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. I'll search for the "GPU Monitor" app.