Thread: Speedbooster for the UMpro: Full frame to to S35

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Speedbooster for the UMpro: Full frame to to S35 
    So who is going to be the first guy to use (disassemble) their "Conon to Sony E-mount"n Metabones SB to work with the UMpro? AS I see it, you can figure out the dimensions to cast up in a 3D printer and allow room for a modified MB Booster, which I previously mentioned, to rest inside of the mount a newly designed removable mounting system for the UMpro.
    You may have to epoxy it in or something, I'll let you smarty pants figure that one out.

But I do know the casing for the Metabones boosters will come apart with the internal Len elements still intact, making it easier to mount into another adapter.

From the Metabones site:
    Full-frame lens required. EF-S/DX/DC/Di II lenses are NOT supported.
    Speed Booster ULTRA is designed to cover an "APS-C/Super 35mm" image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor. On a full frame camera body (A7 series, NEX-VG900) the camera needs to have "APS-C/Super 35mm" set to either "Auto" or "On

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BT2

Goodluck, and I'm curious to see future models of similar type of products.

Or better yet use the stock EF removable mount that comes stock with the UMpro and try to modify it to a new 3D printed mount that includes the SB internals.So you'll have electronics included. Just throwing ideas out there.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 03-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Or just fabricate an aluminum mount that's for E-mount dimensions and leave room on the side to place the original EF-to E mount SB down onto the new mount.

A Speed Booster combined with a 135mm lens is going to give a different look than a lens of the equivalent focal length designed for the sensor/ format you are shooting. I took my Zeiss 28mm and put it on a MFT/Nikon SB on the Micro Cinema camera (28x.58=16.24), then shot the same scene with a 16mm Veydra MFT lens, and a 16mm (S16)'Illumina Super Speed. All three shots were different, even though the focal length was the same or equivalent. Adapting larger format lenses to a smaller format/sensor size, changes the lens' overall characteristics and resulting IQ. Adding a speed booster with all of its glass also changes how the lens will look. A lens IQ and its results is more than just focal length, it is more to do with how a lens interacts, if yiu only use the center of the lens' projected image cicely, you will get a different look, than if you used the entire image circle. This is especially true with wide angle lenses, whose edge distortion is part of their charm.

So for me, I would rather use S35 designed lenses (like the SLR Magic APOs)' on a Ursa Mini/Pro 4.6, than any Canon or Nikon 135mm lens.
    Trying to adapt a speed booster to,the Ursa Mini Pro mount (which appears to be around 40mm FFD anyway) is a non starter, when you have a better selection of affordable S 35mm lens to use, buy, or rent.
    That's my two cents worth on this.

I totally agree Denny. I love how the native 16mm lens look on my micro, but I also love how the S35 and apps-c lens look combined with a speedbooster. I love the multi option of having different looks with the same lens too.
    I mostly like it when people start making cool things to add onto cameras and lenses that change the image or performance of that camera or lens.
    Hey and everyone loves an extre stop of light, right?

I get what Denny and Timothy here are saying. But what I love about my BMCC MFT with nikon speedbooster is that I gain a extra stop of light (Like Timothy said) but first and formost the fact that I get to go ultra wide on a mft size sensor without too much destortion.
    You could say destortion is the charm of the lens, but I don't see much charm in that personaly. Not a big fan of deformed face chapes when close to a actor. So I understand that some people would like to get a speedbooster for their S35 sensor, Being able to go as wide as possible with their full frame lenses and gaining that extra stop of light, not being limited with the native ISO of 800 on the URSA mini 4.6k or 400 iso on the Ursa mini 4k. So different look of the lens is not so important here I would think, Looks for the most part can be done in post, gain in lowlight and wider field of view is a little harder to be done in post. That's my two cents worth on this:-)

Tim, is also,agree with this, the Speed Booster lens combo has its place. I still use in with my lovely Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZF lens to get the AOV I want on the Micro or AF100. The 28mm Zeiss has a look of its own both full frame and cropped.

Perry, your BMCC sensor is lovely, but it is not a MFT size, it is smaller, between S16 and MFT 16:9 size sensors, like the AF100 uses. But the BMCC Speed Booster gives it a 35mm Cine camera look, allowing the same focal,length of lenses to get the similar AOV, same for the Pocket/Micro camera giving it a standard Acadmeny 35mm look and feel. Different lens/sensor combos create different looks and effects. This is what having a choice is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Tim, is also,agree with this, the Speed Booster lens combo has its place. I still use in with my lovely Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZF lens to get the AOV I want on the Micro or AF100. The 28mm Zeiss has a look of its own both full frame and cropped.

Perry, your BMCC sensor is lovely, but it is not a MFT size, it is smaller, between S16 and MFT 16:9 size sensors, like the AF100 uses. But the BMCC Speed Booster gives it a 35mm Cine camera look, allowing the same focal,length of lenses to get the similar AOV, same for the Pocket/Micro camera giving it a standard Acadmeny 35mm look and feel. Different lens/sensor combos create different looks and effects. This is what having a choice is all about.
    Yes correct, my mistake, I did notice it when I mounted the speedbooster on my Panasonic GH3, I get more vinette on the side on a GH3 with aps-c lenses combine with the speedbooster then on the BMCC, so figured the sensor was a little smaller on the BMCC. Just the mount is mft.
    Also my C-mount lenses cover more of the bmcc sensor then they do on GH3. Wich gives a cool effect on the bmcc.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    So who is going to be the first guy to use (disassemble) their "Conon to Sony E-mount"n Metabones SB to work with the UMpro? AS I see it, you can figure out the dimensions to cast up in a 3D printer and allow room for a modified MB Booster, which I previously mentioned, to rest inside of the mount a newly designed removable mounting system for the UMpro.
    You may have to epoxy it in or something, I'll let you smarty pants figure that one out.

But I do know the casing for the Metabones boosters will come apart with the internal Len elements still intact, making it easier to mount into another adapter.

From the Metabones site:
    Full-frame lens required. EF-S/DX/DC/Di II lenses are NOT supported.
    Speed Booster ULTRA is designed to cover an "APS-C/Super 35mm" image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor. On a full frame camera body (A7 series, NEX-VG900) the camera needs to have "APS-C/Super 35mm" set to either "Auto" or "On

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BT2

Goodluck, and I'm curious to see future models of similar type of products.

Or better yet use the stock EF removable mount that comes stock with the UMpro and try to modify it to a new 3D printed mount that includes the SB internals.So you'll have electronics included. Just throwing ideas out there.
    I have already emailed Blackmagic and metabones asking to please make an adaptor (I recommend anyone else to do too so they get heaps of requests). I really think they would sell well, even better than the nikon adaptor they are making.
    Almost every fs7/fs5 i see get used has a metabones speed booster attached permanently to the cameras.
    Its the one thing that would make me upgrade to the pro. The extra controls and variable ND's are nice, but they aren't a big seller for me. maybe if i was buying my ursa mini for the first time i would buy the upgraded one, but I'm not going to sell my camera just for these features alone.

I tried to make a reduction element fit a while back, but there is a filter set back from the sensor that means it can't sit back far enough. mine would only focus at 5m.
    theres a guy who has done this with an red epic, but you can get the element of the metabones a bit closer with these cameras. it works really well though.

paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

A Speed Booster combined with a 135mm lens is going to give a different look than a lens of the equivalent focal length designed for the sensor/ format you are shooting. I took my Zeiss 28mm and put it on a MFT/Nikon SB on the Micro Cinema camera (28x.58=16.24), then shot the same scene with a 16mm Veydra MFT lens, and a 16mm (S16)'Illumina Super Speed. All three shots were different, even though the focal length was the same or equivalent. Adapting larger format lenses to a smaller format/sensor size, changes the lens' overall characteristics and resulting IQ. Adding a speed booster with all of its glass also changes how the lens will look. A lens IQ and its results is more than just focal length, it is more to do with how a lens interacts, if yiu only use the center of the lens' projected image cicely, you will get a different look, than if you used the entire image circle. This is especially true with wide angle lenses, whose edge distortion is part of their charm.

So for me, I would rather use S35 designed lenses (like the SLR Magic APOs)' on a Ursa Mini/Pro 4.6, than any Canon or Nikon 135mm lens.
    Trying to adapt a speed booster to,the Ursa Mini Pro mount (which appears to be around 40mm FFD anyway) is a non starter, when you have a better selection of affordable S 35mm lens to use, buy, or rent.
    Why are you multiplying .58 for a regular MFT Speedbooster? I assume you meant the Pocket specific SB? Anyway, this is the reason why I dislike thinking of speedboosters as changing the lens. They don't change the focal length. A 28 is a 28 is a 28. As your test shows, it's not going to look like a 16. A speedbooster just lets the camera see more of the image circle of the lens, plus some extra light, which in my mind is more like shooting with a larger sensor camera that's a little more sensitive. So your 28 + .58 SB on the Micro is going to give you a very similar image as the same lens on normal 35mm film (matted for 16 x 9, of course). This thing, if Metabones can make one, will give the images a Full Frame / 5D look to your video.

But out of curiosity, would you mind posting the images from your test anyway? I would be interested in seeing them.

My understanding of a speedbooster is that you are getting the full coverage of the lens that just gets condensed down to the smallaer sensor.