Thread: BM Camera and Resolve announcement on Thursday at 12 PM

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I wonder if an option in Resolved shows luts applied to what has been shot with the camera?

I don't get the sudden obsession over Global Shutter. Blackmagic's rolling shutter is pretty damn good anyway! and most RED cameras don't have global shutter either but no one complains. I've got the Mini 4K which has Global shutter, but I wouldn't care less if it has Rolling Shutter.

I just want slightly better FPN performance for the Ursa Mini's and a new Pocket Cinema Camera with 60p HD like the Micro and a full size HDMI port and I'm happy! 2.5/4k to an external recorder would be welcome!

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jedcamara View Post
    I don't get the sudden obsession over Global Shutter. Blackmagic's rolling shutter is pretty damn good anyway! and most RED cameras don't have global shutter either but no one complains. I've got the Mini 4K which has Global shutter, but I wouldn't care less if it has Rolling Shutter.

I just want slightly better FPN performance for the Ursa Mini's and a new Pocket Cinema Camera with 60p HD like the Micro and a full size HDMI port and I'm happy! 2.5/4k to an external recorder would be welcome!
    Global shutter is important if you are doing green screen and EFX work. Besides it is closer to film as film exposes the tire frame and does not do it in a rolling fashion.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

...and a new Pocket Cinema Camera with 60p HD like the Micro and a full size HDMI port and I'm happy!
    Agree, I'm hoping for something along these lines... and the battery life of the micro too... though I'll still love my curent BMPCC regardless.
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

BMCuser Sponsor
    Global shutter is indeed cool and interesting, but would you be shocked to know there is a mild amount of rolling shutter in film cameras with a disk mirror ? As the edge of the disk slices through frame by rotating there is a fractional bit of time where the edge is neither completely on or off. This "shutter drags can cause diagonal chopping of a frame at certain pan speeds (whip pans)... therefore the idea of what you are saying is right, but not 100% truthful because of a disk shutter mechanism. Arguable with a different type of motion picture camera shutter, but not with the typical Arri spinning disk mirror.

"The more you know ����"

Man, I really hope the turrets are announced/released. The fact that it's a picture of a UM is disappointing though. I guess, if they are going for a surprise factor, had they shown a pic of the Ursa Major everyone would know what that meant. 5 more hours then we'll know.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    Global shutter is indeed cool and interesting, but would you be shocked to know there is a mild amount of rolling shutter in film cameras with a disk mirror ? As the edge of the disk slices through frame by rotating there is a fractional bit of time where the edge is neither completely on or off. This "shutter drags can cause diagonal chopping of a frame at certain pan speeds (whip pans)... therefore the idea of what you are saying is right, but not 100% truthful because of a disk shutter mechanism. Arguable with a different type of motion picture camera shutter, but not with the typical Arri spinning disk mirror.

"The more you know ����"
    Yes I am well aware of a how a film camera and it's shutter works. But it is nothing like what goes on with a Rolling Shutter.
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 03-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

I think it may be the fact that the new sensor is listed as being 15 stops and global shutter (which very well may be a typo). As we all know, when you use a global shutter sensor you lose a couple of stops comparably. But to get the same DR as the 4.6 sensor and also have global shutter would be pretty freaking hi-tech. No one is doing that, not even close, so I assume it's a typo of some sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    I think it may be the fact that the new sensor is listed as being 15 stops and global shutter (which very well may be a typo). As we all know, when you use a global shutter sensor you lose a couple of stops comparably. But to get the same DR as the 4.6 sensor and also have global shutter would be pretty freaking hi-tech. No one is doing that, not even close, so I assume it's a typo of some sorts.
    I believe it's 12 Stops with Global Shutter, or 15 Stops without B&H just has it listed odd. (mostly because they are trying to highlight the 15 stops)

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    Sony's F55 is rated at 14 stops.

Canon's C700 (GS version) is claiming 14 too.

Both are nowhere near $5K though.