Thread: Using the Tangent Ripple Panel with Da Vinci Resolve

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    interesting. so the app will allow you to move both trackballs at the same time? i wish i could do independent cursors like that in windows.

with the kingston + shuttle combo how did you have to do it? did you press a button on the shuttle to move the cursor between lift, gamma, and gain?

Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    interesting. so the app will allow you to move both trackballs at the same time? i wish i could do independent cursors like that in windows.

with the kingston + shuttle combo how did you have to do it? did you press a button on the shuttle to move the cursor between lift, gamma, and gain?
    No. You cannot do that with the Shuttle. I use the trackball for LGG one at a time and the Shuttle as a wheel but again one at a time. With the App you can move the simulated trackballs and wheels at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_sour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I had some time spent today with the Tangent Android app again with an old 4.0 Android tablet. I think I can get use to it and it's pretty decent. Only thing is I was using a 7" tablet and the controls were small for my big fingers. So here's my plan. I found this android tablet, it is not the latest OS but should work. It has a 15.6" display, not too shabby touch screen, and lays flat at an angle.

http://www.kmart.com/neos-15.6-8221-...V008187032000P

I will use this exclusively as a control surface. The large screen will display the controls much larger too. At 199 + another 99 for the app, it's a workable setup for 300 bucks. If it works and I like it, I'll report back possibly with some pics if anyone is interested.
    I'd love to hear how that works out. Im in a similar situation
    The Neos 15.6" Android device (link above) arrived two days ago. I have 30 days to see if I like it. I also downloaded the Free copy of the Tangent Element Vu app from the Google Play Store. So far it is working well. I tend to hit with my palm the Android HOME key by accident but with a little bit getting use to it, maybe I'll be okay with it. The important thing for me are 1) Performance, 2) Real estate of the surface, 3) Supports Resolve and different NLE and 3) Cost. The last one is a no brainer - for $199 it is a steal that's why I went with it. I could have gone for the Ripple but that was $350 and does not have the buttons and knobs that are on the Element. For Performance, the Neos can be used with Wifi or Wired Ethernet. I had mine set up with Wired Ethernet so it will be much more responsive... and it was. I like the 15.6" display, my fingers are comfortable finding the controls. They were big enough to use... right about the size of the physical controls. The virtual emulation of the controls need a little bit of getting use to and it is what I am trying it on right now where it will work for me or not. Unlike the Blackmagic Panels which I really like too, the Tangent Element app supports other NLE as well which is beneficial if you are using different NLE. If I was all out Da Vinci on my system, I would save up and get the Micro Panel. I tried it with Premier Pro and sure works just fine - much specially so with the Lumetri color wheels. There's just a lot of functions mapped to the buttons and knobs.

The downsides are 1) Android OS Version is old and not upgradable but f I am just using as a Tangent virtual control surface, that not a concern for me; and 2) the brightness of the display is good if you look at the screen directly. Set up in a flat surface, I tend to have to look over it to avoid glares from ambient lighting.

If this becomes a keeper, I'll pay for the Tangent software which is $99 dollars and get a full feature virtual Tangent Element (which cost anout $3K) for $300. That's slightly cheaper than the Ripple with more buttons and knobs. Here is photos of how I have it set up now. This gives you an idea in case you want to try it out.
    Cheers!

Tangent Element Vu On 15.6 inch Android device as surface controller.JPG

EYu,

Nice. I'm happy to see another smart Tangent App user. People would save tons of money if they would chose wisely.

Bino, I. Think a large display, at least 13.3" to 15.6", is the ideal surface. If one has two or three of the 10.1" to 12" tablet, that will work nicely too. The Android Neos that I got is cheap enough for those who have the interest in trying things out.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Bino, I. Think a large display, at least 13.3" to 15.6", is the ideal surface. If one has two or three of the 10.1" to 12" tablet, that will work nicely too. The Android Neos that I got is cheap enough for those who have the interest in trying things out.
    I think that 2 would do a very good job. I tried with my old iPad 9". I'll try with my iPad Pro 12.9" some time next week with the App. I already have the Ripple so I might try to combine the Ripple with the App on the iPad Pro 12.9". I'll post my findings once I test it out. The good thing is that you can pay $99 for the App and use it on multiple devices at once.

it looks cool in the pictures. you should post a video so we can see it in action. i'm interested to see how it performs and the features it has.

Thanks for the update! Now what to do...

I'll find some time to make a short video.

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    I think that 2 would do a very good job. I tried with my old iPad 9". I'll try with my iPad Pro 12.9" some time next week with the App. I already have the Ripple so I might try to combine the Ripple with the App on the iPad Pro 12.9". I'll post my findings once I test it out. The good thing is that you can pay $99 for the App and use it on multiple devices at once.
    I believe the IPad 12.9 will work decently. That's right, $99 and you can use it with multiple devices. I am using the Free version to test it. It is the same as the full version but time limited. I think I'm keeping the Android devices and buy the full version. I still have over twenty days to test Tangent on the device before I can return it to KMart for a full refund.