Thread: Using the Tangent Ripple Panel with Da Vinci Resolve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Using the Tangent Ripple Panel with Da Vinci Resolve 
    I am looking at getting the Tangent Ripple for use with Resolve but have read mixed reviews. From what I can surmise the Pro are the track balls and the Con are the "A" button not able to program on Resolve, and limited ability to program the buttons to map to Resolve functions. Does anyone here use the Tangent Ripple? If so, how do you work around the button limitations or has Tangent improve their mapping/programming of the buttons at all? What are your experiences and can you recommend this product?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I am looking at getting the Tangent Ripple for use with Resolve but have read mixed reviews. From what I can surmise the Pro are the track balls and the Con are the "A" button not able to program on Resolve, and limited ability to program the buttons to map to Resolve functions. Does anyone here use the Tangent Ripple? If so, how do you work around the button limitations or has Tangent improve their mapping/programming of the buttons at all? What are your experiences and can you recommend this product?
    EYu,

I've had the Tangent Ripple since it came out and it does a great job for simple color grading projects. You can't program the A button at all. The work around is that you can add the Tangent Element-Vs Tablet App for $99 and you can use all the functions of the Tangent Element control surface. You can combine the Ripple and the tablet App and now you have the full Element Control surface with hands-on track balls.

Thanks Bino. I believe the trial for the tablet app is free. I'll try it out and see how usable is it, including its simulated trackballs.

Thanks Bino. I believe the trial for the tablet app is free. I'll try it out and see how usable is it, including its simulated trackballs.
    You're welcome!
    It's not a trial. You can use the full functions of the App everyday for an hour. I used it everyday for 6 months for an hour before I bought it. I bought it after I bought the Ripple.

I have found the ripple certainly quicker and more accurate than the mouse or tablet but I have never used a full setup so could not comment with respect to that. I don't really like the tablet app as it requires looking away from the monitors and unlike a keyboard offers no feedback.

I looked at the Tangent tablet app and although it does not have that tactile feel it looks like worth checking out. It supports Android tablets and since I have an old 10.1" Android tablet that I could update the OS, I will give that a try. I'm thinking that with a 10.1" seen area, the buttons and trackballs will be comfortably sized for my fingertips. I can try it out with the free and if I like it, $99 for the app isn't steep and even if I have had to buy a knockoff 10.1" Android tablet, that will set me back another $70. It still comes out cheaper. I can also use it with Premier Pro as I read it is supported.

@Bino, I understand that it is a bit slow. What's your experience with its responsiveness?

Dumb question, but the panels all have three balls, but resolve has 4 in the software, one for global adjustments. I tend to use the forth a lot after applying a basic lut to tweek exposure and white balance when roughing in a basic look. Can the third ball be set up to toggle between the two with a button push, or are you still stuck on mouse for global adjustments. I suppose I could answer myself with the tablet, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Dumb question, but the panels all have three balls, but resolve has 4 in the software, one for global adjustments. I tend to use the forth a lot after applying a basic lut to tweek exposure and white balance when roughing in a basic look. Can the third ball be set up to toggle between the two with a button push, or are you still stuck on mouse for global adjustments. I suppose I could answer myself with the tablet, just curious.
    Actually a good question. I had to check too and if I am not mistaken from what I read on their manual, the Master Offset can be accessed as follows:
    From the Bt Panel - Select Menu A -> Select 'Primary' button
    From the Kb Panel - Select Menu B -> Make adjustment using the 'Master Offset' knob

I stand corrected so if anyone else know please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    The answer is.......nope. You have to do global adjustment on the mouse if you're using the Ripple. I haven't tried it on the App.

Actually a good question. I had to check too and if I am not mistaken from what I read on their manual, the Master Offset can be accessed as follows:
    From the Bt Panel - Select Menu A -> Select 'Primary' button
    From the Kb Panel - Select Menu B -> Make adjustment using the 'Master Offset' knob

I stand corrected so if anyone else know please chime in.
    I emailed Tangent support and here is their answer.

Hi,

Blackmagic Design have not mapped that control to our panels. Sorry.

Kind regards,

Support
    Last edited by Bino; 03-01-2017 at 12:05 PM.