Thread: Color correction using the Camera Raw Tab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dermot, based on your critique of the current tutorials offered and mentioned here, do you have any recommendations on training offers specifically for Resolve? That can be most helpful.

Lynda is the only one i've used, i found it pretty basic, but did watch all 12 hours, as well as reading the manual top to tail..

so if your intrests are getting started then that's the only one i could recomend from first hadn experiance - with caveats that there's gaps in there, and it's entirely centered on one way of working, and ignores al else,

i know i'm fortuante that i've had alot of seat time on Nucoda, Flame, Luster, Cyborg2k, and DS before Resolve, so i went about figureing out how to apply my working methods to Resolve, i almost excliusvly use ACES, filmstyle gradeing, L*a*b, math op's (OFX plug-in's that are like the RGB mixer but vastly more granular and precie) and printer lights, rarely touch Lift, Gamma or Gain, almost never touch the hue offsets, spareingly use masks and keys, never touch the -vs- curves..

for example one can work with saturation very cleanly in L*a*b and the wheels set to log mode... but it takes seat time as the mapping is totaly counter-intuitive, massivly better than the noisy luma-vs-sat curves, but that is one of thousands of working tools in Resolve nowhere to be found in the tutorials or manual...

Unfortuantly it seem the only way to learn how to get the best, cleanest work out the other end of the Resovle pipe is to learn other systems (and photoshop for L*a*b) and force Resolve into emulating what they do easly

one thing good about lift / gamm /gain, hue offsets and -vs- curves is speed, i'm much slower using the tools i do, and the diffrences are most easly seen on a 30' screen. so for may things, the working methods the manual and tutorials focus on are valid, not really best choice for my work, or anyone wanting to get the best, cleanest images even if ti takes a bit longer, rather than geting to pretty good images very quickly...

links to the free OFX plug-in's that Paul Dore wrote for Cuda/ Mac, and JeanClaude compiled for windows + open CL on both OS's - very some usefull tools here;
    https://github.com/baldavenger/Win-OFX
    https://github.com/baldavenger/Plugin-Downloads
    Last edited by dermot shane; 02-28-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    really depends uipon weither you are working in display refered color pipeline, or in scene refered color pipeline

in scene referd it makes no effective diffrence if you tweak most values in the raw tab or in the UI
    Could you develop this a little bit? What is the difference between "display" and "scene" referend colour pipelines? And why is the Camera Raw tab more effective in one and not in the other?
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Lynda is the only one i've used, i found it pretty basic...
    Ah, Lynda. I've subscribed to and used it but like you said it is pretty basic. I'm kind of pass the basics.

one thing good about lift / gamm /gain, hue offsets and -vs- curves is speed, i'm much slower using the tools i do, and the diffrences are most easly seen on a 30' screen. so for may things, the working methods the manual and tutorials focus on are valid, not really best choice for my work, or anyone wanting to get the best, cleanest images even if ti takes a bit longer, rather than geting to pretty good images very quickly...
    Well, that's what I am hoping to achieve - best, cleanest images for the big screen. I don't mind being slow and taking a bit longer. However with the less overhead and cost of Da Vinci Resolve. I don't have the opportunity to get time on the high end tools you are using.

links to the free OFX plug-in's that Paul Dore wrote for Cuda/ Mac, and JeanClaude compiled for windows + open CL on both OS's - very some usefull tools here;
    Thanks for the OFX links. I will definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    However with the less overhead and cost of Da Vinci Resolve. I don't have the opportunity to get time on the high end tools you are using.
    C'mon, DaVinci Resolve is a pretty high end tool

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Stacewicz View Post
    Could you develop this a little bit? What is the difference between "display" and "scene" referend colour pipelines? And why is the Camera Raw tab more effective in one and not in the other?
    Tomas;
    Display -vs- scene is a big subject with many moveing parts, Daniele explains it better than i ever could, it's an hour long and a bit dry, but stuffed full of great and accurate information from a presenter who knows of what they speak;

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/trainin.../truelight.php