Thread: Color correction using the Camera Raw Tab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Color correction using the Camera Raw Tab 
    Let me quote a forum member from another thread that have inspired me alot lately:

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    In the raw adjustment panel in Resolve you are working with the full linear raw CIE data before debayer. Downstream controls are working in 10 bit video color space after deBayer. Setting exposure index, shadow adjustments, highlight adjustments, white balance etc. in raw works independently of any grading nodes and applies to all nodes. This is first stage correction before creative grading. The closer you are to a fully corrected, balanced neutral image in raw, the more range you have for creative grading downstream without causing artifacts.
    In the Camera Raw panel, what is the benefits and drawbacks in changing the settings in Saturation and Color Boost? Compared to raising Saturation in the Color Wheels Tab? And adjusting Gain and Gamma in Camera Raw compared to doing it later with the Color Wheels "downsteam"?

I'm doing a project right now, using footage taken with my BMPCC, and have made a basic color correction in Camera Raw, raising saturation and color boost to get more vibrant colors, as well as doing a basic adjustment of Gain and Gamma, streching out the RAW Log profile. Then I will tweek everyting using the color wheels.

In my previous projects I have ignored the Camera Raw tab entirely and done all color corrction and grading using color wheels only. Is this new approach a more correct one?

Looking at the Goat's Eye View, she reccomends not to touch these settings, as that would limit grading "downstream":

Lately, I have read critique against her tutorials. Intuitively, I find it to be a more sound approach to make adjustments before debayering. I have found it hard before to create vibrant colors using color wheels, and found the Saturation there to be a bit lacking. Now, finding that I can manipulate the RAW colors before debayering, the result is much more convincing. However, the noise levels have also been raised, although it looks quite fimic and grainy. But I'm new to color grading and DaVinci Resolve, and RAW, so I would like to hear your advice on these matters.
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

So I use the Raw tab exclusively for 3 adjustments where I felt it was lacking or improperly set in camera and needed fixing. 1. Temperature, 2. Exposure, and 3. Only when it really calls for the ISO or gain. Everything else I do downstream. However your idea of adjusting sat and contrasts intrigues me. I would like to hear what others do and will try it sometime.

I use the color boost and saturation controls in raw along with the scopes to avoid chroma clipping with my D16 when grading for delivery in REC709 color space. Saturation does what the name implies. At least with the D16 color boost seems to affect red/blue saturation against green. I have to desaturate D16 footage by 15-20% to stay within vectorscope targets for REC709.

Thanks for that tip. I recently had Rec.709 clipping channels where none of the raw date was anywhere near clipping. Way to aggressive! Now I may know how to pull that down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Stacewicz View Post
    Looking at the Goat's Eye View, she reccomends not to touch these settings, as that would limit grading "downstream":

Lately, I have read critique against her tutorials. Intuitively, I find it to be a more sound approach to make adjustments before debayering...
    Watch the video again, she doesn't say to not touch those controls. She mentions that you should NOT be trying to do your color corrections with those controls or use them for atheistic reasons. Those controls are there to change white balance, to control exposure, and to fix any glaring issues with the debayering process.

A great way to test why you shouldn't use the RAW tab controls for your atheistic grade, is to make atheistic corrections with those controls along with the node changes you need to finish out the shot.
    Now make a new version of that same shot and try out a second idea you are working on. You will find that you can't because you used the RAW tab and burned all those original correction into the original file. Now if you go back to the RAW tab and try to even out the shoot for the new version you will be effecting the first version you graded.

The RAW tab should be used, like she mentions in other videos, to neutralize the shot and correct levels. Leave your grading to the grading tabs.

FYI she knows what she's talking about, and is recommend by many on this forum as a great resource for learning Resolve. (Keywords: Learning Resolve. Not the Color science or PHDs in color theory lol)
    She has made tons, probably more than a hundred, of videos explaining in a very precise and no BS way, how Resolve works, all of Resolve (Audio, Node, Tracking, Versions, Luts, Import, Deliver, Edit, etc. etc. etc. etc. and on and on and on.) and how each function in resolve will effect your footage. Nothing more, nothing less. No theory, no opinion on looks, just how pretty much every button in Resolve works.

Edit: I just looked at her Youtube page, It's 124 video to be exact. At around 4.5 minutes on average in length. (about 9.5 hours of tutorials)
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 02-26-2017 at 11:57 PM.

really depends uipon weither you are working in display refered color pipeline, or in scene refered color pipeline

in scene referd it makes no effective diffrence if you tweak most values in the raw tab or in the UI

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    I use the color boost and saturation controls in raw along with the scopes to avoid chroma clipping with my D16 when grading for delivery in REC709 color space. Saturation does what the name implies. At least with the D16 color boost seems to affect red/blue saturation against green. I have to desaturate D16 footage by 15-20% to stay within vectorscope targets for REC709.
    Good tip. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    FYI she [i.e. Goat's Eye View] knows what she's talking about, and is recommend by many on this forum as a great resource for learning Resolve. (Keywords: Learning Resolve. Not the Color science or PHDs in color theory lol)
    She has made tons, probably more than a hundred, of videos explaining in a very precise and no BS way, how Resolve works, all of Resolve (Audio, Node, Tracking, Versions, Luts, Import, Deliver, Edit, etc. etc. etc. etc. and on and on and on.) and how each function in resolve will effect your footage. Nothing more, nothing less. No theory, no opinion on looks, just how pretty much every button in Resolve works.

Edit: I just looked at her Youtube page, It's 124 video to be exact. At around 4.5 minutes on average in length. (about 9.5 hours of tutorials)
    I will check her out. Thank's for the tip
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

I usually start with a LUT, and than do most of the correction in the raw tab.
    I mostly use the other controls for secondary only.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    FYI she knows what she's talking about, and is recommend by many on this forum as a great resource for learning Resolve. (Keywords: Learning Resolve. Not the Color science or PHDs in color theory lol)

heeee, yea with two short films on her IMDB she really knows what she's tlaking about... sheeesh.... talk about the blind leading the blind....

ummmmm, only seen one clip of her's and it's bogus top to tail... now it's not the standard fare, so i'm betting she does a better job with the basic's... but the one clip i saw repeted the inaccuracy's and outright mistakes in the manual, pretty much word for word ;-)

And likely there's nothing in the traing on offer that covers all the other things that the manual does not address, or is inaccurate.... transforms, ACES, DCTL's math functions, L*a*b - the list of things that can be done in Resolve and are not covered in the manual is quite long, and tools ignored or misunderstood are very powerful in the right hands...

but ike the writer of the maunal, she is wise to ignore what she does not understand, rather than exposing the lack of understanding

and would have been wiser yet to understand the weak links in the manual, correct them, instead not blindly repete the same garbage... but then when you just do not understand a something, they you don't know that you don't understand it, and fall into traps

I'd advise keeping a agrain of salt handy to apply to the teaching on offer, and widen the horizions to include other software, only to learn alternate approaches to gradeing