Thread: question regarding your 4K RAW workflow in Resolve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    David;

unfortunatly Apple does not support external GPU's on tne trashcan for anything usefull i've been told, but i don't have one, so it's ancedotial - i would research carefully before throwing coin at it

i have WD red 7200rpm drives in my arrays, i get green lights in the speed test, but if you don't need 48 Tb of fast storage, and 4Tb will do, the SSD's look like a great option, just not a great fit for my (and my cleint's) needs...

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    David;

unfortunatly Apple does not support external GPU's on tne trashcan for anything usefull i've been told, but i don't have one, so it's ancedotial - i would research carefully before throwing coin at it

i have WD red 7200rpm drives in my arrays, i get green lights in the speed test, but if you don't need 48 Tb of fast storage, and 4Tb will do, the SSD's look like a great option, just not a great fit for my (and my cleint's) needs...
    Cool. Thanks
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

I would expect (if your trashcan does not overheat too baddly)
    I do the most with 4.6k RAW. I put the noise redux on a separate node so I can turn it off while working to get 30 fps playback. Then on to render out. The 1080 from my Pocket is no problem at all.

For rendering out, I use a desk fan to keep the temp down. A nuissance but not a $5,000 nuissance......

Also, the drive I read from needs to be faster than the write drives. I read from one array, and write to another drive, often a single Sandisk Extreme Pro 960 for UHD.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmaVideo View Post
    I do the most with 4.6k RAW. I put the noise redux on a separate node so I can turn it off while working to get 30 fps playback. Then on to render out. The 1080 from my Pocket is no problem at all.

For rendering out, I use a desk fan to keep the temp down. A nuissance but not a $5,000 nuissance......

Also, the drive I read from needs to be faster than the write drives. I read from one array, and write to another drive, often a single Sandisk Extreme Pro 960 for UHD.
    Cool. Yeah I am getting an 8 disk raid . But that is good advice. Thanks

Bearfeats did a review of the Tbolt3 gpu enclosure on a trashcan, it's bottlenecked by th Tb2 connection to the point that even a Pascal Titan is only slightly faster than the dual D700's are... but on the good side a cheap last gen 980 is about the same, so you could save a ton of cash and buy a second hand 980 off craigslist

the big advantage to my eyes would be;
    1- getting the heat from the GPU outside the machine, and hopefully gianing reliable renders
    2- gaining a much larger pool of VRAM for nose reduction and ofx
    3- using OFX plugs that fail on open CL

So it could extend the life of a trashcan, $300 for the encolsure and maybe $300 for the GPU, won't make it faster in the real world, but could buy some reliablity

still the best trashcan is dog slow by 2017 standards at 14,000 CPU passmark and 7Tflops, it's so very far from the current recomendation of a z840 or SuperMicro with a 37,000 CPU passmark, and 22Tflops, or my z820 with 23,000 CPU passmark and 18 Tflops

http://barefeats.com/nmp2013node.htm...ign=TaoOfColor

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
    What if I used an EGPU break out box with two Radeon RX480's as my video cards?
    I would used the Radeon R9 390X 512 8Gb instead of the RX480s. They are older but have better performance benchmarks.

I can only guess that it's your connection bandwidth somehow.
    On my new MacBook Pro Touchbar (Maxed out) I have tested and graded tons of RAW 4.6 and 4k RAW footage in Resolve including the BMD demo footage JB shot, and I can play everything Ive tried full res and at realtime, zero issues. The only time I start to take a hit is when I start adding multiple nodes, or blurs, ofx, and some of the more labor intensive options.

It's 16g of Ram, 4g Vram, ridiculously fast SSD, and 2.9 i7 quad core. But saying this I've already heard of some editors switching to the MBP until a new MP is released. People are getting better performance from the laptop over the desktop. So it may just be to old... I hate to even think that.
    Try downloading the footage to your internal SSD and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    I can only guess that it's your connection bandwidth somehow.
    On my new MacBook Pro Touchbar (Maxed out) I have tested and graded tons of RAW 4.6 and 4k RAW footage in Resolve including the BMD demo footage JB shot, and I can play everything Ive tried full res and at realtime, zero issues. The only time I start to take a hit is when I start adding multiple nodes, or blurs, ofx, and some of the more labor intensive options.

It's 16g of Ram, 4g Vram, ridiculously fast SSD, and 2.9 i7 quad core. But saying this I've already heard of some editors switching to the MBP until a new MP is released. People are getting better performance from the laptop over the desktop. So it may just be to old... I hate to even think that.
    Try downloading the footage to your internal SSD and see if that helps.
    Thanks. Well I am upgrading CPU to 12 core (already ordered) and getting an 8 bay thunderbolt 2 hardware raid with fast 7200 RPM drives. But yeah I can not wait until a new Mac Pro comes out.

Bearfeats did a review of the Tbolt3 gpu enclosure on a trashcan, it's bottlenecked by th Tb2 connection to the point that even a Pascal Titan is only slightly faster than the dual D700's are... but on the good side a cheap last gen 980 is about the same, so you could save a ton of cash and buy a second hand 980 off craigslist

the big advantage to my eyes would be;
    1- getting the heat from the GPU outside the machine, and hopefully gianing reliable renders
    2- gaining a much larger pool of VRAM for nose reduction and ofx
    3- using OFX plugs that fail on open CL

So it could extend the life of a trashcan, $300 for the encolsure and maybe $300 for the GPU, won't make it faster in the real world, but could buy some reliablity

still the best trashcan is dog slow by 2017 standards at 14,000 CPU passmark and 7Tflops, it's so very far from the current recomendation of a z840 or SuperMicro with a 37,000 CPU passmark, and 22Tflops, or my z820 with 23,000 CPU passmark and 18 Tflops

http://barefeats.com/nmp2013node.htm...ign=TaoOfColor
    Yeah I know. Just don't want to go to windows. Hopefully trashcan 2 will be announced soon