Thread: "Cheap" good set of lenses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you DPStewart. Yes, I'm seeing the 20mm EF and the 28mm at good prices second hand. I do think they are a good option to go with but I always prefer full manual lenses. Eventually I will stop with the bs and pull the trigger on either nikon ai or ais lenses or second hand ef lenses. Thank you everyone for all the help.

I have been gathering a Nikon cine-modded lens kit over the last year. I now have a set of 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses. I bought Nikon AI, AI-s and even "AI-converted" a Pre-AI "Nikkor-K" lens. I modded them with the Leitax EF mount (strongest mounting solution you can find), added a follow focus gear from followfocusgears.com and de-clicked the lenses (adding a Nyogel 795a oil for friction). The result: a fantastic set of manual lenses for my UM4K and BMCC for well under € 1000,-.

If you are looking into Nikon lenses... Besides checking kenrockwell.com for lens specs, there is this other really useful website where you can check the exact specifications of each lens / serial number - http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html. Most helpful is the column for "focus throw". This helped me to scout eBay and Marktplaats (local Dutch auction site) for the longest focus throw.

Thank you Ruben!

I would say Rokinon and Samyang Cine lens. You can get a set of 5 for less than $2K. They have very good optics. The only thing that I've heard is that their casings won't last forever. I highly suggest them if you're on a budget or if you need something to get you started to make enough profit to buy more expensive lenses.

Thank you Bino. I have experience with the Rokinon lenses but I'm not a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by froess View Post
    I have experience with the Rokinon lenses but I'm not a huge fan.
    What did you find disappointing about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    For some people, the Samyang/Rokinon lenses do not have ENOUGH character.
    They are certainly very good lenses optically, but they do not have what you would call a "strong" look of their own - but that's what makes them so versatile.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    I have the 16mm and have used the 24mm and the 35mm.

I don't like the sunstars on the 16mm ( 6 blades ) and the bokeh. The 24mm is also disappointing from t1.5 to t2.2. The 35mm is a good one but I still don't like the bokeh.

They are very good lenses for the price but they're like "meh" for me in terms of overall feeling. I'm trying not to be a snob or prick about the lenses. In general I do recommend them but I prefer not to use them if I can.

I'm very small budget but when I can, I go with zeiss ze, canon ef or fd and some other cheap old lenses.

As most people have said the Nikon ai/ai-s lenses are really good - you just can'y go wrong.
    This link has really good evaluations about Nikon lenses & is spot on about each lens - helped me loads when buying my set.
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

Now, you've said that you like Zeiss, so have you thought about Yashica ML lenses? Yes, they are Contax/Yashica mount, but there are a ton of good adaptors to fit on Canon Mount. Basically, they are a cheap version of Contax Zeiss lenses (made in the same factory, but with different coatings) & are really really good, especially for the price:
    http://cargocollective.com/yashica/A...L-Prime-Lenses

Super Takumars or SMC Takumars are great (M42 mount).

And then there are the classic Russain lenses - all are pre-set apertures (no click stops, apart from Mir24M), M42 mount & produce perfectly round bokeh (the Tair has 15 blades). They can be dreamy wide open, but stopped down a little & they are sharp. The only downside is that it can be a crap shoot to getting a good copy.
    Mir24M - 35mm f2
    Mir 1b/v - 37mm f2.8 (not as good as the Mir24m)
    Helios 44-2 - 58mm f2
    Jupiter 9 - 85mm f2
    Tair 11a - 135mm f2.8

I've got a full set of Canon primes and a zoom, and a full set of pristine Nikkor AIS primes.

I got into Sigma and Rokinon glass when I got into the BM cameras because the format allowed us to go with smaller lenses and I'm really liking smaller as I grow up.
    Anyway, I really like the look of Canon primes as well as the Nikons, but if I had to make a choice I'd grab the Canons. If I were to differentiate I prefer the color of Canon and contrast of the Nikons. But I'm a manual focus guy so in that sense the Nikons always win on anything but Canon bodies.

Overall though, I prefer the Rokinons now. I love the build, focus damping, weight, size, 9 blade iris - they're fun to shoot with. I'm OK that their not metal. I have the 12mm, 50mm 1.2 and 85mm. These things being subjective, and always loving the bokeh in the Nikon 85mm 1.4 and the small Canon 85mm 1.8 for instance, the Rok 50 and 85 are as good/better in that dept too - sharp and beautiful bokeh.