Thread: URSA 4K V1 now available at B&H... Is the 4.6K turret coming?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 URSA 4K V1 now available at B&H... Is the 4.6K turret coming? 
    B&H have been selling the URSA Major 4K V2 for a while now. The URSA 4K V1 was, in the last year, no longer available. However, the V1 is again available and in stock. Does that mean that the possibility of the URSA 4.6K turret is just around the corner... by NAB?

I find that strange...like maybe an error.

I was under the impression that once they moved to the URSA V2, that the older V1 was not being manufactured at all anymore.

Perhaps someone at B&H worked a deal with Blackmagic to round up the remaining new stock V1 bodies out there and sell them in a manner that was still beneficial to both BMD and B&H.

But YES - I have a sneaking suspicion that NAB this year will see no new BMD cameras, but WILL see the long awaited release of the 4.6k turret for the big URSA.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

There is some new Old Stock of the V1 floating around some places. I wouldn't think this is related to the turret and I also wouldn't buy a new V1 there are some additional limitations with those for very little price difference.

This is interesting because the PL version went back up to $4500.

It was $3000 a few weeks ago - bmcuser.com/showthread.php?18848-Big-URSA-V1-PL-2995-at-B-amp-H

Adorama still has it for that price - https://www.adorama.com/bmursapl.html

If anyone believes the turrets really are coming, you might as well buy the PL version ASAP and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    This is interesting because the PL version went back up to $4500.

It was $3000 a few weeks ago - bmcuser.com/showthread.php?18848-Big-URSA-V1-PL-2995-at-B-amp-H

Adorama still has it for that price - https://www.adorama.com/bmursapl.html

If anyone believes the turrets really are coming, you might as well buy the PL version ASAP and hope for the best.

There backordered though so who knows when you will get them

They are now, haha...maybe some people jumped on it last night.

What exactly is happening with the turret? Seems so strange that it still hasn't been released. Getting a 4.6k mini is not hard anymore.

The fact they've been so silent about it for so long (with only a few exceptions) points to them having major problems getting this to work. And in the time since they released the URSA and advertised it as a user-upgradable camera, we've seen examples of what happens when they run into trouble with something they're trying to implement - like, say global shutter on the Mini 4.6K - they drop it. Ursa HDMI and Ursa Broadcast - dropped. Perhaps not dropped due to problems but dropped just the same, and very quietly so. BMD reps have chimed in a few times in the past few months on the forum to assure us they're working on it - but that's all. And I, for one, no longer believe it. Call me cynical, but the way I see it, if they are having the level of trouble I suspect they're having and they are realizing they just cannot pull this thing off (like global shutter) they are also realizing that this is much worse than simply canceling one feature of a product (again, global shutter) or killing a standalone product altogether (HDMI/Broadcast). Failure to release the turret retroactively renders their claim of a user-upgradable camera as false advertising. So (and again, call me cynical) but I imagine that the only way they've fathomed to deal with this for the time being is to just keep saying "we're working on it," lest they incriminate themselves by admitting that they blew it.

I may be putting my foot in my mouth come NAB, but if they don't say anything about it this year, I think that pretty much proves my theory correct. I was already confident enough in my theory to get rid of my big URSA. And I didn't just sell it on ebay for half of what I paid for it - oh, no. See, I had some issues getting BMD to honor my warranty back in October when it was about to expire. I was trying to send it in to have them fix: 1) a major discrepancy in the color temperatures of my 10" and 5" monitors; 2) an egregious amount of CMOS smear that made it impossible to shoot anything against a dark background lest you end up with white horizontal streaks running across it; 3) crosshatching. Having purchased through Amazon, they told me to get in touch with their concierge if BMD didn't honor the warranty. Well, BMD technically ended up honoring the warranty by agreeing to an RMA and assuring me any repairs would be covered - problem is, they didn't fix anything. I paid $80 to ship it to them and got it back in the exact same condition. Their response: Color temp discrepancy? That's normal. And even if we admitted it wasn't normal (which we won't), we couldn't do anything about it anyway. CMOS smear? Totally normal, even to this obscene degree. Crosshatching. Okay, so that's not normal...but we can't fix it. You say people with the 4.6K have had that issue fixed? Meh, that's a different camera, different fix. We'll pass it on to the engineers though. So...I was thinking back to how Amazon had alluded to helping me out in some way if BMD didn't honor the warranty. It made me wonder what they'd be able to do for me if I told them this story. So I did. And told them how the two biggest issues (crosshatching which seems to have effectively been fixed on the 4.6K, CMOS smear which I know can happen with any CMOS sensor but have not seen to anywhere near that degree in any 4.6K footage) wouldn't have been issues had BMD stayed true to their word about being able to upgrade the sensor. I'd noticed the smear since I first bought it but felt that I could work around it for the roughly 6 months I'd have to wait until upgrading my sensor in spring/summer 2016. Well, fast forward to January 2017 (15 months after I bought it) and still no word on the upgrade. So I threw in the false advertising argument I made above and the end result was me getting a shipping label to send back my big Ursa in exchange for an 80% refund - $4000 out of the $5000.

Now I will put that money toward a readily available Mini 4.6K and prepare to have to exchange it (via returning to the retailer and then buying again and restarting my 30 day return window each time, screw dealing with BMD's RMAs that I pay to ship back to them and their awful customer service) up to 3 times to get a "good" one. Because I know a "good" one will be great but I can only keep sending back cameras for so long. After the third try I will probably just say screw it and get a GH5.

So in closing, a big thank you to Amazon for making an exception for me, apologies to DVEStore if this resulted in a debit to their seller account (I will be contacting them to fill them in on what happened, including giving them a copy of my email correspondence with BMD customer support so they can see how poorly it was handled, hopefully resulting in them returning the camera to BMD so it is BMD who are stuck with it and eat the loss, as it should be) and finally a big f--k you to BMD for treating your customers this way.

Yeah if the they don't provide a date or an actual release at NAB I would consider it not coming..

The fact that the camera hasn't gotten a 4.0 firmware upgrade either is also a strike against it, I could still see them doing something for NAB but if not Don't get your hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Michael View Post
    pay to ship back to them and their awful customer service) up to 3 times to get a "good" one. Because I know a "good" one will be great but I can only keep sending back cameras for so long.
    I haven't had a problem with their customer service. We were doing a music video shoot with several Blackmagic URSA mini 4k's. Some of the video was live footage from a concert. One of the URSA mini's took a beating back stage from a roadie, all the BNC connectors were trashed. The Circuit board for SDI output was destroyed and and the casing was cracked. We shipped it to them they got it fixed in a week or less and cost $300. A pretty reasonable cost for camera repair.