Thread: We who prefer 2K Super 16 over 4K+ Super 35 - The *unofficial* Super 16 RAW thread

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    So Denny, looks like you followed my link then.....

OK so that will be one Angenieux 7-81mm HR S16 zoom please. I already have its big brother the 11.5-138mm HR Zoom. I think the 7-81mm is a later model though ??

Seth Godin speaks such clear common sense. I like his straight to the point no clutter style - and what he speaks IS how things are if you want to achieve in this life.

Yeah I have looked up the D16 on the place that costs me so much money (how many more lenses will satan tempt me to buy?) and as you say the prices...... So maybe, just maybe the D16 footage IS highly valued ...just not by users here.

Still, it's hard to justify spending that much on an older design when the newer tech cameras are Sooooooo good (looking at you UMP G2) and for less money. Sometimes the world is just not fair....or we have become too complacent about what to expect from a camera for (relatively - compared to even 10 years ago) little money.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
    One thing I always find amusing....the camera is only 400 ISO.
    Not to be pedantic but the D16's in-camera ISO range was 100-800, with the camera performing its best around 160-200. Since it's just a metadata flag anyway you could always push it higher if you wanted though; I've pushed to ISO 1600, which cleans up nicely with DaVinci Resolve's built in noise-reduction.

Also, I'm not 100% sure where you're getting these prices from. D16's regularly sell on the D16 Facebook group for around $4,000.

[Edit] Case in point...
    Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 05-25-2019 at 08:17 PM.

This is the one I saw the other day Alex https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolex-D16-D...UAAOSwBQ9c3uFY
    This is the one that sold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Bol...4AAOSwvBFcr98V

I was off, it sold for $5650. But in early April, another mint one sold for $7100!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 05-25-2019 at 10:04 PM.

While I like the form factor of the DB the IQ came up short. Its look nice in good lighting but so does other cameras.
    You can buy a lightly used original Alexa for £5k now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    While I like the form factor of the DB the IQ came up short. Its look nice in good lighting but so does other cameras.
    You can buy a lightly used original Alexa for £5k now.
    Itís funny, I feel the exact opposite. What about the image doesnít speak to you? The thing Iíll say wholeheartedly is that you have to go through a lot of rigmarole to get the best quality from the D16 but Iím VERY happy with how it looks. Youíd be surprised how many cameras do have a mediocre look when you expose them in a bright room btw.

The Alexa is an amazing camera and it is awesome to see them dropping in price. I canít tell you how happy I am that film co-ops in my province can afford to supply them for their members now, considering that theyíve shot some of the most incredible looking films of the decade. I guess for me what it comes down to is that the D16 has a few things up its sleeve that I have always really preferred and that Iím willing to compromise for. The way it renders motion is something Iím a BIG fan of, for example. Thatís not me saying that the D16 is a competitor to the Alexa, not by a long shot, but at the end of the day I feel like Iíve become comfortable enough with the D16 that I can get the images I want, and thatís what matters. I have A LOT of suggestions for the D16v2, if it ever comes, but for now I feel like I can focus on the artistry rather than the other fluff.

While not a GS, the Ursa Broadcast comes close with 9ms sensor readout time, it also has a nice motion cadence look.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    I have A LOT of suggestions for the D16v2
    So the cat is out of the bag.....time to fess up Alex. What do you know ;-)

I will pre-order, do you have a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    While not a GS, the Ursa Broadcast comes close with 9ms sensor readout time, it also has a nice motion cadence look.
    Cheers
    Don't get me wrong here; a fast rolling shutter is fine. A lot of great work has been shot with cameras that have them and you could make the argument that a 5ms read-reset rolling shutter accurately emulates the spinning mirror in a film camera, but it still has never felt right to me. Even on an Alexa, I'm still just not in love with how handheld looks. I'm not saying they're un-cinematic or even that I'm not just tainted by pretence and placebos, but I like the way motion looks on my D16 and I haven't really found that anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
    So the cat is out of the bag.....time to fess up Alex.
    Ugh, dude, don't be like that. Even as a joke the whole culture surrounding business insider rumours is very frustrating. There's no D16v2 and I sincerely doubt there ever will be; I just like thinking out loud about stuff I'd change if there ever was. Nothing more.

In my opinion DB had a misfortune of debuting around the same time as Blackmagic entering into the camera business. It was a small private enterprise backed with kickstarter money vs a big tech company with manufacturing prowess and service backup that in all was difficult to match. Had it not been for BMD I would most likely have bought a Digital Bolex. Who knows the company might not have folded and could even have been a major player today if the BMCC and Pocket cameras weren't around.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Ugh, dude, don't be like that. Even as a joke the whole culture surrounding business insider rumours is very frustrating. There's no D16v2 and I sincerely doubt there ever will be; I just like thinking out loud about stuff I'd change if there ever was. Nothing more.
    Yeah sure Alex. Just skylarking. It would be so cool if there WAS a D16 II but we all know that will most likely never happen. Now having said that, just the other day I was posting on a forum saying how there are no mini ITX boards with TB3 40 Gb/s ports onboard...and low and behold ASROCK announce a m-itx board at computex with exactly that....a 40 Gb/s TB type C port on an AMD chipset (X570) for the new Ryzen Zen 2 CPU series...... so never say never !