Thread: Dracast LED500 Silver Series Bi-Color LED Light on sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Dracast LED500 Silver Series Bi-Color LED Light on sale 
    Saw these at BH on sale for half off - Good CRI, but being bi-color and 500 LED I'm not sure even 2 would be strong enough for a key light shooting through a silk.

Any thoughts? Anyone use these specific model?
    Dracast LED500 Silver Series Bi-Color LED Light

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lor_panel.html

My thought was to buy 2 and shoot through my 40"x40" silk here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGPy2fjhvZ/ and using a foamcore bounce on the opposite side.

I would be using primarily for shooting talking head interviews. I've already got a Vidpro LED-330X that I'd use on the backside for a hair/rim light.
    Last edited by marshallbaker; 01-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

Please note: I saw the big thread from a several months back where folks mentioned the Dracast 500 being good, but they were referencing the Daylight units - I'm hoping someone has experience with the bi-color because I really would like the ability to adjust light without gels (quicker) on set.
    BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Sure are a lot of reviews out their saying the lights are not very bright and won't do much aside from table top object photography.

I have the daylight versions of the 500 and the 1000 which are twice as bright as their bi-color counterparts. You're right in thinking they wont be bright enough. Trying to push a 500 through even a small 36"X24" artificial silk yields very little light. I use a small 200w HMI when pushing light through diffusion frames. Good Luck.

Rats. Thanks guys. I was really hoping to get something soon and on sale is always a bonus. No point if not bright enough though. I may just try to keep saving up and when the Aputure Light Storm 120d's come out, pick up 2 of them. From what I understand the 120t's already out are pretty bright (at least bright enough to use as a key light anyways).

Howie, it is the daylight version of the 500 that is in sale, what is your opinion of them, as a kick light or ?
    Cheers

Yeah it looks like they're all on sale. Dracast is getting more aggressive with their pricing, these units seem to be on sale every other week and now they're even bundling softboxes and grids with some fixtures.

For me personally the 500 is in between, too big for a kicker (real interiors not a soundstage) and too little for a key. I have used them to key for daytime interiors with just diffusion and they were fine they just don't have enough punch to work well with diffusion frames unless you're shooting 1600+ ISO or probably higher. LED is easily dimmed so I think it's always better to have too much than not enough.

I'm also waiting to see how that new Aputure 120D looks, there are already a few other guys (Godox, Genaray) that already have a similar product, it would be cool to see a comparison.

I bought 3 of the bi-color when they were on sale a few months back. I think they provided decent lighting enough to light the objects I need lighted. Here is a sample grab taken with 1 Dracast 500 LED light set to full daylight, from an URSA with a cooler temperature for a thriller short. This is screen grab direct from the RAW 3:1 clip.

Dracast Raw Grab.jpg

That makes it look even less usable for most conditions, if I wanted a scene that dark you can dim down a brighter panel.. you can't make a weak one brighter.

Well, it is selective lighting. I would agree they are not suitable out doors. You'll definitely need a brighter light and get a brighter panel. This shot was set up where the entire set was pitch dark, then a 25w equivalent LED light situated 15 feet away illuminates the room with the Dracast LED position 45 degrees to the left as Key at about 7-8 ft away from the subject, with diffuser on. If I need bright lights, then I go for my favorite tungsten floods or fresnels.