Thread: BMD CinemaDNG player with LUT capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I used the following product to open up RAW on a laptop that couldn't run Resolve back in the day (2013), and could even lightly grade it (saturation, brightness, color temperature, sharpness, tint, etc.)

http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/

Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, but it was a nice little piece of software.

Not sure if it would work for any kind of compressed RAW and if it's even still accessible, but worth trying out if possible.
    That's what I used before as well. It's no longer available but they have a new product which has more than what Cliphouse did and in that case, I might as well use Resolve. I recall there was another product called RAW4PRO but it no longer exist. Both product will not do any kind of compressed RAW then.

Will the Scratch player work? It lists that it added Ursa RAW to a recent update.

http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/scratch-play/

MLRawViewer is pretty simple, perhaps too simple, most functionality is accessed with keys and not through the GUI so it takes a cheat sheet early on. Probably no good for 3:1, I don't have a camera that shoots 3:1 so someone else will have to test.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/in...p?topic=9560.0

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    Will the Scratch player work? It lists that it added Ursa RAW to a recent update.

http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/scratch-play/
    I tried Scratch before. It is okay but not my first choice. It is a bit cumbersome to use, runs okay unless you have a GPU on your computer, and I am not sure if it supports compressed RAW. But give it a try and they may have made it better. Let us know. As DPS mentioned it may be a stretch to find a player that will play compress 3:1 RAW as that is specifically BMD.

I think the problem is RAW and LUT are not simple things that an underpowered laptop can do.

RAW is de-bayering a RAW image. If it's compressed then you're reading large files, also de-compressing, then de-bayering, then you're GRADING it. That's what a LUT is. It's a grade on top of the file.

And doing it at 24 frames a second. It's asking a lot.

You can likely cheat by using less precise LUTS or doing quick and dirty debayers. Like what happens in Resolve when you use lower resolutions, it's not that great either.

I think this is why it doesn't exist....

JB

Assimilate support send me a copy of the beta 8.6 Player release. This version supported BMD CinemaDNG RAW in HD and 4K uncompressed and compressed. It even lets you load a LUT for viewing. I tested it on a laptop with a core i5 CPU, 8Gb RAM, and just the basic Intel HD GPU that comes with the core i5. For the HD Raw, it loaded fast and I am able to view the footage quite reasonably - excellent for what I needed. With the 4K, it took a bit of time to load and playback tittered between 15-17 fps. I expected that from the 4K as you'll need a respectable GPU to process it. Nevertheless, it was not bad at all. IMO, their UI could be better. Here are screen shots I took of it. For a field level RAW viewer, I think it will suffice. It is free too.

scratch.jpg

I believe MPC-HC supports 3D Luts as well but you need a decent GPU

Here you can find Fast CinemaDNG Processor which can preview and play both uncompressed and compressed raw: www.fastcinemadng.com
    You just need laptop with NVIDIA GPU and Windows. It's already working with 3D LUTs for HSV (DCP support).