Thread: New LUTs for Mini 4.6K: Comet Color

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by westhechef View Post
    Hey Kholi,

Big fan of the look. Are you putting any diffusion in front of the glass in these examples?
    Hey!

Thanks much. I think I had a Hollywood Blackmagic 1/8 in front of the lens for the girl with the bottle, and I'm thinking it's the 50mm Cinealta lens, or the 35, I can't remember exactly! But, I know it was HBM1/8 because it's been in the matte box since that shoot.

Here's some video provided by Olan Collardy

https://vimeo.com/207653128

https://vimeo.com/204459247

Both B-Side Gamma and Contrast

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Friendly reminder: make sure to AWB to the LUT in-camera for best results!

Also an update on the new B-Sidde: Looks like they're pretty much done! The changes are a less saturated curve, a softer bottom end and a smoother roll off at the top--even smoother than before actually. That translates to more glowing skin tones and healthier saturation all around.
    In addition to the new B-Side updates, as mentioned, I'm starting on the Fuji Emulation LUTs based on the Fuji X-T20 Color Profiles this weekend. There'll be at least two, perhaps three.

And lastly, likely with this update release, I'll also convert B-Side over to the original 2.5K, Pocket camera, and Micro Camera.

Looking forward to sharing!

Here's some new footage from Roman with the new B-Side Gamma:

UMPro | 2K 3:1 | AWB in Camera | Superseed Zeiss S16 MKIIs

https://vimeo.com/209821155

Kholi, you did an outstanding job on these LUTs. B-side is my favourite right now. I'm curious about the updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
    Kholi, you did an outstanding job on these LUTs. B-side is my favourite right now. I'm curious about the updates!
    Didn't even know you had it! Glad you're liking it, B-Side is also my favorite and seems to be the one everyone uses, specifically B-Gamma.

Think I'm pretty close to being done with the new LUT based on B-Gamma temp titled "808" -- has an adjusted saturation curve (more sat mid after some feedback), slightly creamier highlights but a bit more highlight detail compared to the other lots (tricky), neutral skin and softer shadows.
    One click, no adjustments. Will likely be getting this to you guys pretty soon, just need to run it across some UMPro and Mini46K footage to make sure it's all good.

No adjustments made in raw tab or anything else, WB is a bit off (strangely a slight bit more difficult to AWB the UMPro versus the 4.6K, this might just be my imagination), wanted to see how it played straight on some footage originally monitored with B-Gamma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    And lastly, likely with this update release, I'll also convert B-Side over to the original 2.5K, Pocket camera, and Micro Camera.

Looking forward to sharing!
    looking forward to buying!
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

https://vimeo.com/212837619

Comet Color to BMDFIlm 4.6K R3 release:
    - Updated all LUTs for color balance (slightly less magenta on A-Side, slightly more neutral on B-Side)
    - Updated B-Side Contrast (ALT) - still has slightly different skin tones (for taste) but now more neutral / less yellow to start.
    - Updated B-Side LUTs with new sat curve (reduced punch in skin but retains richness)
    - Updated all FLAT LUT curves.
    - Added new LUT: 808C (contrast) and 808F (flat). Based on B-Side Gamma, pops highlights versus subtle mute in B-Side gamma, steep drop at the very bottom of the curve, overhauled saturation -- muted blues, slightly more poppy reds, less poppy skin tones but retains the a similar "glow" as B-side, reduced warmth in shadows.

Footage of the young lady on the rooftop provided by OLAN COLLARDY: vimeo.com/olancollardy/videos (check his work out)
    Original video with details using B-side gamma LUT: vimeo.com/212443058

Footage of the office / prison scenes shot by myself:
    Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K @ 1080/4444 ProRes
    Cinealta Lenses (35, 50mm)
    NiSi IR ND 0.3
    Classic Soft 1/8 Filter

Comet Color LUT Page: thecampcomet.com

Future Updates: Attempting a Film Look and Power Grades based on B-Side Gamma (way more film like, even though it's not my preference), A coral and sea foam green LUT (always wanted to try this).

Future Plans:
    -BMCC/Pocket/Micro Camera conversions (this is the next project, should be quick).
    -GH5 and A7SIII LUTs based on B-Side Gamma.

If you've already picked them up, I'm likely adding you to a mass email right now to send it out, expect to see a link today!

Awesome.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

I'm loving these LUTs Kholi. It's money well spent having several simple options for video village that isn't flat or Rec709. These are with B Side Contrast. One thing I noticed is upon monitoring, green has a tendency to become pixelated and orange. It doesn't happen always but I noticed this when doing green screen work. Has anyone else had this problem? Also how to you attach a high res looking image on here?
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 4.18.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 4.20.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 4.21.55 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 04-26-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Hey do you have an example of the green pixel stuff? Does it happen in post when you apply the LUT?

I use imgur.com to post high res. Are those stills from Ursa mini?? They all look great!

I'm just on the end of putting together final versions of all of the LUTs and adding a new LUT to the set that's totally unrelated to the others, I can look into this while I'm doing that.

IMG_2702.jpg

This was an iPhone snap. You can see the muddy orange pixelation. It is only present on viewing through camera and through sdi monitoring. I've never seen it when using the lut in Davinci. It's not a major setback. I really think Blackmagic should rethink their rec709 to something more forgiving like this. I've never used their rec709 for anything more than proxies.