Thread: New LUTs for Mini 4.6K: Comet Color

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New LUTs for Mini 4.6K: Comet Color 

https://vimeo.com/212837619
    Available here with more info: www.thecampcomet.com

Comet Color to BMDFIlm 4.6K R3 release:
    - Updated all LUTs for color balance (slightly less magenta on A-Side, slightly more neutral on B-Side)
    - Updated B-Side Contrast (ALT) - still has slightly different skin tones (for taste) but now more neutral / less yellow to start.
    - Updated B-Side LUTs with new sat curve (reduced punch in skin but retains richness)
    - Updated all FLAT LUT curves.
    - Added new LUT: 808C (contrast) and 808F (flat). Based on B-Side Gamma, pops highlights versus subtle mute in B-Side gamma, steep drop at the very bottom of the curve, overhauled saturation -- muted blues, slightly more poppy reds, less poppy skin tones but retains the a similar "glow" as B-side, reduced warmth in shadows.

Footage of the young lady on the rooftop provided by OLAN COLLARDY: vimeo.com/olancollardy/videos (check his work out)
    Original video with details using B-side gamma LUT: vimeo.com/212443058

Footage of the office / prison scenes shot by myself:
    Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K @ 1080/4444 ProRes
    Cinealta Lenses (35, 50mm)
    NiSi IR ND 0.3
    Classic Soft 1/8 Filter

Comet Color LUT Page: thecampcomet.com

Future Updates: Attempting a Film Look and Power Grades based on B-Side Gamma (way more film like, even though it's not my preference), A coral and sea foam green LUT (always wanted to try this).

Future Plans:
    -BMCC/Pocket/Micro Camera conversions (this is the next project, should be quick).
    -GH5 and A7SIII LUTs based on B-Side Gamma.

If you've already picked them up, I'm likely adding you to a mass email right now to send it out, expect to see a link today!

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Nice color

Kholi has done a lot of work on these LUTs. A few of us have been testing and feeding back along the way. They do have a nice creaminess to skin tones.

Well worth grabbing and supporting the work he's put in.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

Highly recommend these

Thanks Adam and Adam! haha

For anyone that's picked up the LUTs, here's an update (if you are not on the FB page):

Thanks to some early feedback, I've got an update of A-Side coming today. You'll likely get an email sent to the address that you used for PayPal, it will include a link to download the new A-Side set. You should replace the earlier .cubes with the latest.

This also seems to be the only oddity that's been picked up, so that should be the final version barring anymore feedback.

Additionally, I'll be expanding the LUTs with personal power grades (no donations required ) that you can use in conjunction with the LUTs for different looks. I think that'd add a little fun in the mix!
    Thanks for your support and looking forward to getting more out there!

Make sure that your email address is correct so that I can get you the link!
    Also, I'm going to add a version that I created for Olan Collardy (B-Side_Dark) in the creation process. That's the one he uses primarily when monitoring and he likes it a ton, so why not! If you already got the LUTs, I'm including it in the email link. If not, then it'll be there when you pick up the five set (now six set.)

Image courtesy of Olan Collardy (TY for helping test this for weeks)

Top: Original BMD46K DPX
    Middle: BMD46K to Comet Color B-Side Dark (The variation I created for Olan--also one click, no adjustments)
    Bottom: BMD46K to Comet Color A-Side Contrast (One click)

-------

(Used for updates etc.)
    3/26/2017:

Think I'm pretty close to being done with the new LUT based on B-Gamma temp titled "808" -- It's based on B-Side Gamma, has an adjusted saturation curve, slightly creamier highlights but a bit more highlight detail compared to the other lots (tricky), neutral skin and softer shadows.
    One click, no adjustments. Will likely be getting this to you guys pretty soon, just need to run it across some UMPro and Mini46K footage to make sure it's all good.

No adjustments made in raw tab or anything else, WB is a bit off (strangely a slight bit more difficult to AWB the UMPro versus the 4.6K, this might just be my imagination), wanted to see how it played straight on some footage originally monitored with B-Gamma. Of course, nothing was done to the RAW image either, no settings changed etc.

____
    Update on this

I've started a small site for the luts now.

https://www.thecampcomet.com

I'll be adding to it and cleaning it up as I go!
    Thanks so much to everyone that's given feedback and looking forward to hearing more!

You can still read the changes on the Facebook page. I'll have some more footage up as well as other users.

Here's some video provided by Olan Collardy

https://vimeo.com/207653128

https://vimeo.com/204459247

Both B-Side Gamma and Contrast

----
    Hi All,

So after a ton of messages about this, and coming up on my next short film, I've gone ahead and put my 4.6K LUTs up in final versions (pending feedback from a wider group.)

https://www.facebook.com/KhoColor/posts/

Here's my vimeo, a lot of the most recent CineAlta footage has versions of this, but I'm working uploading what the final looks like now. People are prodding me for it like asap so I decided to just get it out there and add to the page.

https://vimeo.com/campcomet

Working on putting together some footage (and gathering some from a few people that have the set already).

(Also, low key, these work with the other cameras, but not advertised as such. I'll go into more detail, but don't grab them for this purpose until I've had a chance to explain how. It's not that difficult, just not obvious.)

B-Side Gamma, no adjustments/"straight out of camera"

Julien Cheron provided this still, also B-Side Gamma (not WB'd or shot to the LUT, but WB would likely clean up the magenta cast).

TOP: B-Side Contrast
    BOTTOM: B-Side Contrast (ALT)

Nice

Did you use a color checker chart for these?

Just emailed out updates to everyone that's got the LUTs. If you didn't get the update link, make sure you check the email you sent the PayPal with.

Changes were:

- Fixed a banding issue with A-Side LUTs
    - Generated a contrasty "one-click" version of A-side Contrast
    - Adjusted saturation for all A-Side LUTs
    - Added two LUTs (now 7 in the set): B-Side Contrast is a one-click version of B-Side, and B-Side Contrast (ALT) is the original form of this created for Olan Collardy.
    - Adjusted all B-Side LUTs to (aside from ALT) to skew less "yellow" where skin's concerned

TOP: B-Side Contrast
    BOTTOM: B-Side Contrast (ALT)

No adjustments here, just the LUT only.

Hoping to get out a COB120T test and Daylight, and then a quick chart test to round off letting these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Did you use a color checker chart for these?
    Yeah! And from a few different cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Yeah! And from a few different cameras.
    I think I'll get your two LUT pack. I don't have the camera, though I would like to support your film; hope its a hit

*the Paypal auto dl didn't work for me; perhaps you could pm a link?
    Last edited by Sage; 01-21-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: dl trouble

How do you get this Kholi Luts?