Thread: DXO's New Sensor King.

1. #1 DXO's New Sensor King. 
    Pretty interesting stuff. Cool to see the movie cameras blowing out the stills cameras.

Funny how DXO its convinced that RED is apply some kind of noise reduction to the RAW image before writing it, but they can't seem to find out how or if it really is. :P
    I wonder how the Ursa 4.6 scored.

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/RED-...me-high-score2

Yeah, I don't have a dog in the fight because I can't afford any of those cameras. I just thought the DXO test was pretty interesting.

As for the eoshd rebuttal about the article, the last paragraph they wrote summed up for me their views about the RED test.

Finally when it comes to colour, nothing really stands out about Canon and the medium format backs in the chart with Sony continually ranked higher for portrait shots even though we all know Canon’s skintones are more pleasing, even in RAW files and medium format remains the benchmark for professional portrait shooters.

Haha, to me it sounds like they're a little butt hurt that their Cannons didn't score that well.

I thought DXO has been regarded as a industry (for photography) benchmark and accepted testing site?
    And I've heard eoshd say some pretty outlandish things on certain topics.

Like I said, No dog in the fight. Pocket shooter!
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 01-12-2017 at 07:15 PM.

EOSHD has always been a Canon community, but Andrew is pretty straight up with his articles and thoughts. He's bashed Canon a lot in the past for not making their SLR cameras better for video.

I don't care either, haha, but I would like to see more cinema cameras tested at DxO though.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    Pretty interesting stuff. Cool to see the movie cameras blowing out the stills cameras.

Funny how DXO its convinced that RED is apply some kind of noise reduction to the RAW image before writing it, but they can't seem to find out how or if it really is. :P
    I wonder how the Ursa 4.6 scored.

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/RED-...me-high-score2
    Red shoots compressed RAW. Compression reduces spatial noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post

Well they do they don't make any secret of it. They even patented it and sued Sony for breaching what they claim is their idea.

And their idea is....

They compress in YUV (as opposed to RBG) and by doing this they can then compress the Y signal (luminance) at a different rate to the B-y and R-y signals.
    https://www.google.com/patents/US8174560

And they do this in RAW. And they do this in a way that is closed. You need the special RED SDK. Which is why for a long time people wandered what they do in their little special red files and what bit depth their cameras might really be recording and what other processing they do, because noone really knows...

JB

Thanks for the link and info John and razz. Interesting read on the subject.

I wonder if the BMD cameras have something similar. Or is the fact that CDNG is a adobe product and they don't allow changes to the original file format? I'm just speculating on the subject, but curious just the same.

As a photographer I can say cinema cameras really does put dSLR to shame in dynamic range and colour depths. For example I can never duplicate red accurately from a dSLR, it just bleed and does not hold details very well. This is not the case with higher end cinema cameras.