Thread: Ursa Mini 4.6k - Anyone else with a significantly warmer image in the BM viewfinder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini 4.6k - Anyone else with a significantly warmer image in the BM viewfinder? 
    I've been using my UM4.6k for a number of projects and the viewfinders white balance is always quite a bit warmer than the flip out LCD panel on the camera.
    The Kelvin values are exactly the same between both so do I just have a badly calibrated viewfinder?

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Mine looks warmer especially when using LUTs. Not sure if that is common or a flaw?

Thanks for replying Taikonaut. Hard to judge considering how few reports there are of this issue. I guess it's not all that common. Or people are just putting up with it or not noticing it.
    It's almost impossible to tell when shooting with the film profile due to the desaturated image, but yeah...monitoring with a LUT makes it clear as day.

Looks a few hundred Kelvin warmer than the flip out screen

I find neither the LCD or the viewfinder particularly accurate.

Images from my viewfinder is significantly darker than the LCD screen especially when usingLUTs. Is it possible to double applied LUTs, one from the camera and one from the viewfinder itself like what happen with focus peaking? I've checked the viewfinder setting and could not find anything unusual.

The EVF is more accurate than the sceen in my view.

I have a few EVFs and because it's and OLED the blacks are often "heavy" and look a bit crushed. I tend to turn my EVF brightness up a few notches and that tends to open things up a lot.

Have you adjusted the brightness to see if that changes things ?

JB

Thanks John, love your work

Upping the EVF brightness is much better in general. I think the kelvin values may be slightly buggy though. Just now I upped the brightness and compared the monitor to the EVF and they were reporting two different Kelvin values! The monitor says 5100k while the EVF says 5200K.

I can't find a way to adjust these values independently so a bit of a bug perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyron View Post
    Thanks John, love your work

Upping the EVF brightness is much better in general. I think the kelvin values may be slightly buggy though. Just now I upped the brightness and compared the monitor to the EVF and they were reporting two different Kelvin values! The monitor says 5100k while the EVF says 5200K.

I can't find a way to adjust these values independently so a bit of a bug perhaps?

The EVF reads the metatdata from the SDI stream. Have you updated the firmware in your EVF ? You know you should do this every time you update the camera firmware ?

JB

The WB on the viewfinder is closer to what been recorded. I felt the LCD looked a bit green and cooler. The viewfinder definately crushes the blacks and the image a bit more contrasty in overall appearance. Turning the brightness up while exposing some of the blacks means also exposes what is not black. I'm hoping a FW solution were you can just lift the blacks, maybe even a contrast control?

John, you're a lifesaver. I never even thought about firmware on the viewfinder. I didn't even know there was a USB port on it until I went hunting and found it under the secret squirrel rubber front cap!
    I've updated the firmware and the image matches the camera lcd much closer now. Thanks so much mate, i'm usually on the ball with this stuff, but totally blanked on it this time.

Man, everything would be so much more transparent if Blackmagic just had an update or support page for each product they sell instead of that mess of a firmware release page they have now.
    It's labelled as a camera update too. Ah well, at least I know now. Thanks again JB