Thread: Removable camera processors.

1. #1 Removable camera processors. 
    I know something like this goes against Sony's or Cannon's business model and their strick guidelines against future proofing cameras.
    But for a company like BMD or RED who try to add features to extend the life on their latest cameras (URSA turret) (removable mounts and sensors) it would be a cool Idea to have a slot where one could just replace the processor once it's lagging with a new software features.
    https://youtu.be/OcaFqzRwGlk

I know I would love a BMCC that had the ability to run the new firmware for the URSA and handle the 90fps the sensor is capable of.

As sensors get more and more high end and cheaper it's looking like their life is getting extended because of their quality, but also being replaced because the hardware around them is lacking.

Pretty cool concept for a future BMD camera.

https://youtu.be/OcaFqzRwGlk
    Vimeo.com/dropbars

Indeed.

RED seems to come so close already with their modular systems. I'd bet on them being the first to adopt something like this.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

The concept is very welcome but accommodating an advance or faster processor may require better cooling system that is not modular or easy to be upgraded.

The Processor in the camera's isn't really the limitation preventing older cameras from using it, those are generally going to be low power arm based CPUs and are plenty for what it needs to do (create display/menus and talk to other buses to make changes). the majority of image processing is done by specialized Signal processing components, generic CPUs can't handle this as well especially in real time.

There's a lot of R&D to go into making a swappable processor (generic CPUs or otherwise). Seeing this in consumer devices can be done because of sheer volume of sales. It would be hard for Blackmagic to justify the time spent doing something like that for sub $5k cameras when being specialized they don't sale that many units in the grand scheme (compared to say a Samsung or LG TV). RED could possibly do it just because they have a lot more margin on their cameras but even there I doubt we will see that anytime soon. but a $5k camera is going to be considered throw away if it lasts you 3-5yrs it's done it's job.