Thread: Alternatives to Prores and a video player recommendation for Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Alternatives to Prores and a video player recommendation for Windows 
    Hi
    I just switched to a Windows laptop from being an a Mac and I was hoping I could ask a few questions.
    Firstly what are the Prores alternatives on windows? I know there is Cineform and DNXHR, though there are so many different choices and flavors it is hard to know which one to choose. My intermediate and archive codecs in the past have been prores 4444 and prores 4444xq. What are similar choices on Windows and also what are the editors and graders using?? What is the standard most people use on windows?

Also can anyone recomend a good video player to be able to check my footage on? Something I can go back and forward frame by frame.

Thanks

I use gopro cineform. If you want something similar to Prores 444 just max out the quality. Having said that I only use maximum quality on cineform when I'm working with multiple intermediates or particularly demanding footage (lots of high frequency detail, camera movement etc.). Otherwise I've seen no reason to doubt the claims that cineform is visually lossless at somewhat lower settings.

I use DNxHD/DNxHR. It's nearly identical to ProRes, and offers pretty much all the same quality options - although they don't have nick-names, you just select your bit depth, frame rate, and bit rate all by specifics.

Also, the free player "MPC-HC" is really good. Accurate color, has tons of options, and hitting "Ctrl" and the left/right arrows steps forward and back by one frame.
    I have never needed another player.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

In resolve I use DNxHRXQ (12-bit 4:2:2). I would have used DNxHR 444 but I found there's a gamma shift. No idea why. Then I compress that master in Adobde media encoder for internet uploading (vimeo/youtube ect)
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Sort of related - I was trying out the new version of Vegas today (recently taken over by Magix) and you can actually render out to Prores from a Windows pc. If Vegas can do it, I find it hard to believe that Premiere or Resolve can't figure out a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I use DNxHD/DNxHR. It's nearly identical to ProRes, and offers pretty much all the same quality options - although they don't have nick-names, you just select your bit depth, frame rate, and bit rate all by specifics.

Also, the free player "MPC-HC" is really good. Accurate color, has tons of options, and hitting "Ctrl" and the left/right arrows steps forward and back by one frame.
    I have never needed another player.
    MPC_HC can't play DNxHR XQ. I have to use quicktime which sucks on PC. But I just playback the compressed Master from media encoder anyway.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
    Sort of related - I was trying out the new version of Vegas today (recently taken over by Magix) and you can actually render out to Prores from a Windows pc. If Vegas can do it, I find it hard to believe that Premiere or Resolve can't figure out a way to do it.
    Its basically just licensing from what I understand. Adobe and BMD don't think prores is worth forking out for. When there are at least a couple of good alternatives this seems fair enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDen View Post
    Its basically just licensing from what I understand. Adobe and BMD don't think prores is worth forking out for. When there are at least a couple of good alternatives this seems fair enough to me.
    It would definitely make my life a whole lot easier. Broadcast and Motion Graphics always want Prores. I have to get out the macbook to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
    It would definitely make my life a whole lot easier. Broadcast and Motion Graphics always want Prores. I have to get out the macbook to do so.
    Yeah that's a PITA and I guess they want prores out of habit. In practice I can't image there are many post pipe-lines that wouldn't be able to deal with the cineform or DNx codecs, even if they do have to install them on their machines.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    MPC_HC can't play DNxHR XQ. I have to use quicktime which sucks on PC.
    You can play it back with the nightly builds (development snapshots) of VLC.

Generally, I'd advise for DNxHR and against GrassValley Canopus and Cineform because DNxHR has a vendor-independent Open Source implementation and can be played back and written by all programs that use libav as their codec engine. (This includes ffmpeg, mplayer and VLC.) Canopus and Cineform are completely proprietary. Cineform might even disappear if its current owner, GoPro, goes under.