Thread: Should I buy the Ursa Mini 4.6K over the FS7 II or C300 II?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Should I buy the Ursa Mini 4.6K over the FS7 II or C300 II? 
    Hi everyone, I'm not trolling at all. I genuinely want advice.

I was planning on purchasing an Ursa Mini 4.6 K for a while now. However, I just built out everything that I would need and the total price comes to about $11,000. This is way more than I anticipated when I first started looking at this camera. It seems like FS7 II and the C300 II would make certain things much easier and more convenient (built-in ND's, smaller batteries, no rails or anything to worry about). But I just don't know!

All 3 cameras have great dynamic range.
    The Ursa Mini seems to have the worst low-light (not a deal breaker, but still).
    The Ursa Mini doesn't have built-in ND's, requiring a matte box, rails, expensive IRNDs and a slower, more complicated switching mechanism.
    The C300 supports excellent continuous autofocus.
    They are all a little heavy on a gimbal, though C300 II seems to fit the best.
    Ursa Mini and FS7 do great high speed.
    Ursa Mini records to RAW and ProRes out of the box (better menus as well)
    FS7 has much cheaper media than C300 II or Ursa Mini

Any advice?? I need to be able to use the camera to shoot event coverage (that is later edited into a promo piece) AND scripted stuff like commercials/music videos.

FYI, These are the items I had in my kit that pushed it over $10,000:

Ursa Mini 4.6k EF
    Anton Bauer Battery
    Anton Bauer battery charger
    Anton Bauer batter plate for Ursa Mini
    Ursa Mini EVF
    Ursa Mini Shoulder mount Kit
    Sony VCT14 Quick Release
    Matte Box
    3x Firecrest ND Filters 2.4, 1.2, and 0.6 (these cut IR, right??)
    Filter Pouch
    1 256 GB CFast Card
    Last edited by mizzar; 01-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.

C300 II is by far the best choice for events. It's a great ENG-like cinema camera that produces a great image right out of the camera, and can adapt to various situations very quickly. It's also a top notch production camera used in many commercials and some films. Plus the camera is built like a tank.

The Ursa 4.6k is a true cinema camera and thrives in a production environment. The 4.6k offers the best looking & most cinematic footage, but you have to put in extra work on the post side to achieve it.

So you have to decide what is more important. Cinematic image vs the ease, speed, & versatility of an ENG-like camera.

The FS7 is a solid Camera, I just hate Sony's overly convoluted menu system.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-05-2017 at 09:07 PM.

I agree with Bob.

C300 mkII for everything that isn't cinema.

URSA mini4.6k for cinema.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

agree with bob too

I would weigh what you do more of. If it's events/verite/run n gun then I would go Canon. Blackmagic for scripted/narrative or talking head where you have the luxury of set up time.

Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    I would weigh what you do more of. If it's events/verite/run n gun then I would go Canon. Blackmagic for scripted/narrative or talking head where you have the luxury of set up time.
    It's complicated. My reel and the work that I have most frequently been paid for in has been corporate event stuff. However, my passion is for more scripted, narrative stuff. Is there anything about the C300 II that would preclude it from doing the same narrative and cinematic work as the Ursa Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    It's complicated. My reel and the work that I have most frequently been paid for in has been corporate event stuff. However, my passion is for more scripted, narrative stuff. Is there anything about the C300 II that would preclude it from doing the same narrative and cinematic work as the Ursa Mini?
    No. But to do so would VERY MUCH benefit from the use of lens filters at the least, preferably a set of lenses that have an intrinsically artful look to them.
    The C300 just has a tendency to look clinical or "documentary-ish". It's a very sharp image that comes out of them...the original C300 is this way too.

But the colors are killer.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    Then my advice would be to choose the c300 ii. It's a bit hypocritical advice though . Personally I wouldn't lol....i'd still take a Ursa mini because image is the bottom line for me. But I've been in the blackmagic ecosystem for years now. I can make it work...but I've seen enough people that just can't cut it. They can't handle the post workflow...which to me is easy if using prores for cooperate stuff. Strongly suggest you go with the c300 if you cannot handle grading in post. The C300 will do cinema work just fine. See below....and that's done with a VERY minimal crew. The Director just knew what he was doing. The c300 is a great swiss army knife...it can do alot, well. If cinema/narrative is your desire...the c300 mII certainly will not hold you back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJo1qrr_8Hc This was done on the first version of the camera.

The Ursa doesn't need a mattebox...you can get screw in filters with the Xume magnetic system for fast changes of filters. You can save a bit by not buying anton bauer batteries and battery plate. And save on a bit of weight by getting slimmer V mount batteries. But the media will still be costly. Hold on...doesn't the c300m ii use cfast also??
    Last edited by jambredz; 01-06-2017 at 02:33 AM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    Depends what you want it for. If you want it for work and to create content then the Sony or the Canon. I would in fact suggest unlike everyone else the Sony. The C300 is the better camera but the cost is stupid and at the end of the day the image difference between the Sony and the Canon isn't that big a leap. The Sony FS7mk2 is still a lot cheaper, has everything you want and is the largest seller for the last 2 years with a proven track record. If though you want a camera that provides the best image quality, more cinematic and you're willing to do the work then Blackmagic is the king in the price field.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJo1qrr_8Hc This was done on the first version of the camera.
    Looks great!