Thread: Should I buy the Ursa Mini 4.6K over the FS7 II or C300 II?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I guess u can't go wrong with that decision. Renting to test would have been good though . I rented the 4.6k for a little over $300 for 4 days from lensprotogo.
    Yeah, I really did consider renting but I've shot on the C300 mark 1 a lot and after reading and looking at everything, the C300's biggest problems were (in my eyes):

1.) No 4K 60p and windowed 120fps. The Ursa Mini has the same windowing issue as the C300 (though UM46k CAN do full 4.6k 60p). The FS7 does full frame up to 180 fps, but had a number of other issues that ended up disqualifying it.

2.) Cost (after similar base packages are built it would have been $3,000 more than the UM46k).

3.) Non-ENG shape. I liked the idea of having a handheld form factor with a minimal rig, but truth is I usually am shooting on a monopod, tripod, or gimbal. Shooting on the shoulder doesn't come up much with the work I do, and is always available via a rig in the future.

RAW isn't that important because the C300 II still has great latitude and a very clean image, with the ability to output raw externally in the future if I wish. I really wanted that full version of Resolve but the free version is great enough for now. I really wanted internal ND's and autofocus. Events and corporate stuff aren't my passion but they pay the bills.

Finally, name recognition and perception of reliability. I actually spoke to Lens Rebtals after this post and they said, though the Ursa Mini has gotten better, they still have enough issues with the ones they rent out (Fixed Pattern Noise, Dropped Frames, XLR noise) that they cannot recommend them for professional use. That is a big factor. A big part of buying a camera can be, how likely are people to hire me AND my camera. I don't want to have to convince clients that it is a serious camera (and it really does look like one, but it seems like it isn't quite where I want it to be for such an investment).

Again, I thank you all so much for weighing in!!

I've heard whispers the price will drop (again) on the C300 Mark II soon...can't confirm though.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I've heard whispers the price will drop (again) on the C300 Mark II soon...can't confirm though.
    That would be unfortunate! However, B&H is awesome and I'm sure they would cover my back if it was within a certain time frame.

That being said, it seems like that would only happen if the dollar became much weaker compared to the Yen (currently not the case).

Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    Yeah, I really did consider renting but I've shot on the C300 mark 1 a lot and after reading and looking at everything, the C300's biggest problems were (in my eyes):

1.) No 4K 60p and windowed 120fps. The Ursa Mini has the same windowing issue as the C300 (though UM46k CAN do full 4.6k 60p). The FS7 does full frame up to 180 fps, but had a number of other issues that ended up disqualifying it.

2.) Cost (after similar base packages are built it would have been $3,000 more than the UM46k).

3.) Non-ENG shape. I liked the idea of having a handheld form factor with a minimal rig, but truth is I usually am shooting on a monopod, tripod, or gimbal. Shooting on the shoulder doesn't come up much with the work I do, and is always available via a rig in the future.

RAW isn't that important because the C300 II still has great latitude and a very clean image, with the ability to output raw externally in the future if I wish. I really wanted that full version of Resolve but the free version is great enough for now. I really wanted internal ND's and autofocus. Events and corporate stuff aren't my passion but they pay the bills.

Finally, name recognition and perception of reliability. I actually spoke to Lens Rebtals after this post and they said, though the Ursa Mini has gotten better, they still have enough issues with the ones they rent out (Fixed Pattern Noise, Dropped Frames, XLR noise) that they cannot recommend them for professional use. That is a big factor. A big part of buying a camera can be, how likely are people to hire me AND my camera. I don't want to have to convince clients that it is a serious camera (and it really does look like one, but it seems like it isn't quite where I want it to be for such an investment).

Again, I thank you all so much for weighing in!!

Well you got the best cam for your needs. Enjoy your new baby
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Karl, you probably know the AVID-friendly codecs are currently greyed-out on the Mini 4.6K 4.2 firmware, but it it is coming. Perhaps it's waiting for a NAB 2017 release as it will make a bigger splash there by adding more ammunition to help BMD penetrate the motion picture production mindset.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 01-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Man, tough decision.

Canon c300 mk2 is overpriced, but the best all around performer.
    Sony FS7 is great, with friendly codecs for broadcast but not the best for cinematic work in my opinion. Plus that Sony mount...
    URSA Mini 4.6k... A great camera, excellent dr and best IQ of the three, but not a camera I would buy unless it was second hand.

With that being said, I'd go for the Canon c300 mk2. Because at the end of the day, it's only money. If it gets the job done, then it's a win.

I love BMD cameras. Been working with them for years, but they are interesting cameras and can be difficult if you don't understand them. But I'm very excited about the next version of whatever BMD releases as I"m sure they've learned a lot over the years.

What's wrong with the Sony mount? You can adapt tons of lenses to it and more and more manufacturers are offering it on their lenses too.

That said, I like BM's colors better too. Sony sucks in saturated blue.