Thread: Thoughts on the LUMIX GH5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I played with the raw footage as well. It was easy to pull satisfying colours out of them, I also applied a few LOG to REC 709 LUTs, one of them is for the BMCC and the other is actually the official one from Sony to match Arri colours, both looked excellent.
    One thing this camera really needs is the promised bump to 400Mbps, there's a lot of macro-blocking and not just only in the shadows, the waterfall handheld shot is full of it, I remember seeing banding too on another. Once that is done, this could shape up to be an excellent little cam, a Pocket 2 in many ways. Perhaps a 10bit 60fps FHD mode and I am happy with it.

The URSA Mini 4K though at a similar price is a different animal in my opinion. The M43 mount is much more adaptable - just like the camera itself, small size makes it ideal for almost any gimbal. Also it has WiFi and Bluetooth? Hell yeah! I can see loads of apps rolling out soon, wireless focusing will be quite easy to achieve here.

On a side note, just purely looking at the specs sheet and the up-coming features, this thing could even compare to the Canon C300 Mark II pretty f*king well, for 4 times less. Slap that XLR module on the top (pray you don't brake it off..) and you are almost there. Yes, no SDI or 12bit FHD but that 5 axis IBIS sounds sexy, even the updated AF could be adequate for video.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    yeah, i had a go at it.

https://vimeo.com/198220172
    Zak, I like this one, it has a Lord of the Rings vibe, haha.
    I'm trying to replicate it, what did you do to it exactly?

Anyway, this is how close I got:

grade.jpg

But I think you desaturated your highlights from there, I can't seem to do that in Photoshop. (Well, I could do it, but only with local adjustments, then I could pull the blue saturation up a bit to match the exact colour of the water.)
    Last edited by Liszön!; 01-06-2017 at 05:23 PM.

It's the VLOG to Rec709 LUT + VisionColor 5203 50D NEG FPE LUT (for Rec709) + Added Blue with the Offset Wheel + tracked her face to bring back a touch of warmth with a qualifier.

Did more or less the same here...

DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Awesome, thank you! Yes, popping those skin tones back somehow is a good idea, I was thinking about that too.

I think what this release of GH5 does is put pressure on Sony especially , not sure if Black Magic will be pressured , but Sony and Canon are almost forced now to come up with something a bit better than GH5 in next releases (not sure if they will) , so for me we wont see the true full outcome of the GH5 tell a year from now and see how others react and what they release. I personally will not buy a GH5, as I own a mini 4.6k, and really can see my self using it. Now the bigger question for me, is what is next for black magic ?I do feel the 4.6k was a step in the right direction, I wish it was a tad smaller, with a colors closer to pocket and BMCC , as much as I know love the DR on it, but I think another stop to stop and half over the 4.6k would be amazing .

Specs, shmecks. Image is everything. I'll pass, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    Specs, shmecks. Image is everything. I'll pass, thanks.
    Me too.

While I have certainly seen plenty of worse images, I really can't look at gh4/gh5 and find it impressive.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    OMG...my eyes. I must be allergic to 60p. Couldnt watch it more than a minute.
    For me, that was more because of subject matter. We now have artisanal... *ice*?

Did the gents play with the VLog files too?
    Me thinks it's really not that bad - minus the low bitrate which should be absolutely remedied. I am talking about the 10bit 24p/30p samples, they look good after corrections. Not necessarily Blackmagic good, but Sony FS5 good for sure and again, I reckon it will even give the C300MkII a run for the money.
    I am preparing for a documentary shoot and obviously I won't be waiting for a GH5 to do that but I can certainly see myself and others to work with it on similar projects.
    Last edited by Liszön!; 01-08-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Before I write this I'm struggling to find the article I read or video I watched, I think it was "News Shooters".

But the author had said that the demo model he had worked with didn't have a "off" selection for noise reduction and also smooths the skin by default wether using log or another picture profile.
    I don't know how cool most of us, who are members of this forum, will like that force creative choice.

I'll edit when I find the reference info.
    Vimeo.com/dropbars

He talks about noise reduction at high ISOs starts at 04:05 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukM7WhCgQU

Says if there is a demand they might offer to disable that. Wonder why can't they do it from day one, doesn't sound like a complicated feature.