Thread: Thoughts on the LUMIX GH5

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Thoughts on the LUMIX GH5 
    I've never shot one. I'm sure curious to hear some of your thoughts on the new LUMIX GH5. Looks to have some great features. Pros and Cons?

In camera 5 axis stabilization and 422 10-bit definitely a win for this cam. Price Point is a bit steep if you just think what you can get with a UM4K.

whats it priced at?

Not expecting much from this cam to be honest.

I owned a gh2 & G6 and used a GH4 a couple of shoots.. The color science, especially skin tones was always the draw back for me. That video-like look is gorgeous for documentary style shoots. I dont know if this 10bit 4.2.2 would make a significant improvement to the motion and color science but I won't hold my breath. I heard it doesn't come with log out the box?

In terms of hybrid DSLR-Video I still think they are still the best at offering video capabilities on a DSLR.

I gave up on using my GH5 months ago.

(Is it even released yet?? I don't think so.)

It's supposed to be around $2,000.
    Saturated market.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Dunjoye View Post
    The color science, especially skin tones was always the draw back for me. That video-like look is gorgeous for documentary style shoots.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

As a DSLR form camera - this is an absolute winner.
    I've owned every iteration of GH camera and I've loved them, I actually got rid of my GH4 in order to buy a URSA Mini, welcoming the professional standards the URSA Mini brought, but the GH5 may make an appearance back in my arsenal.

It's going to sell as always...just a no-nonsense camera with tons of features that will be super fun to use in many different ways.

I left my GH4/Odyssey 7Q+ combo behind for the Pocket/Micro/BMCC cameras last year. Was happy to trade resolution for superior color, DR, highlights, skin tones. From what i've seen of the GH5 clips today, it still falls short of the original sensors from BMD, imo. The camera definitely has some great features though. But I'm not ready to sacrifice "the essentials" for them. my 2.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

So, no OLPF? Hmm... Curious to see how the images hold up in terms of moire and aliasing.

And definitely interested to see how this camera grades. It's an intriguing camera at this price point for some of my doc based projects coming up.

The GH cameras have been fine, and have each been better than the one before for certain, but I have a hard time ever seeing how they could be compared to Blackmagic cameras in the areas of image quality. If anything, as Zak and others have mentioned above, they are an opposite type of look.

Although I do understand them being added to a shooter's tool kit SPECIFICALLY for their more "video" look, as that can be appropriate on certain types of work.

Although I find their new in-camera stabilization to be quite noteworthy, I see nothing else in their specs for this camera that isn't highly similar to a half a dozen other offerings in this general price range.
    And in-camera stabilization of this type is quickly going to become the norm for DSLR's and mirrorless cameras.