Thread: new to RAW forma and have some questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by offbeatbryce View Post
    Then how do I determine what format I need for what shoot? Also I edit in a windows computer. Can I edit prores on windows? If so then I can't figure it out. Always gives me error in adobe premirre pro.
    Windows cannot run ProRes without a licence installed, Shoot DNxHR instead, it's basically the exact same thing. You still may have to install the DNx codec on your PC but it's free.

If you are in locations where you know you will have a lot of good control over your lighting, then DNxHR (ProRes) should work well because you can take the time to make sure your shot looks right before you hit the record button.

If you are in a hurry, moving setups fast, and don't have the time to set perfect lighting or perfect exposure, then shoot RAW because you have more room to bring the footage back to how you want to see it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Windows cannot run ProRes without a licence installed, Shoot DNxHR instead, it's basically the exact same thing. You still may have to install the DNx codec on your PC but it's free.

If you are in locations where you know you will have a lot of good control over your lighting, then DNxHR (ProRes) should work well because you can take the time to make sure your shot looks right before you hit the record button.

If you are in a hurry, moving setups fast, and don't have the time to set perfect lighting or perfect exposure, then shoot RAW because you have more room to bring the footage back to how you want to see it.
    The new version of Adobe and Resolve circumvented the need to have anything else installed to run ProRes on windows thanks to apple's big security fiasco with Quicktime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Davis View Post
    The new version of Adobe and Resolve circumvented the need to have anything else installed to run ProRes on windows thanks to apple's big security fiasco with Quicktime.
    That's what I thought but I still can't get it to work. Gives me a playback error.

I was looking at this external recorder that records uncompressed Prores. Is that the same thing as raw? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tle_2_SSD.html

I was looking at this external recorder that records uncompressed Prores. Is that the same thing as raw? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tle_2_SSD.html
    I'm not sure if there is such a thing as uncompressed Prores. If you feel like you need to spend on another hardware, then get the VA instead. IMO, don't let the hardware dictate what you can shoot. You have a lot of thinking to do my friend. Storage is the least of your worry.

No.

This device records compressed codecs ProRes HQ and DNxHD.

The 'Uncompressed' is only as an HD resolution 4:2:2 QuickTime file. But it only records what comes into it over the SDI input. It just simply doesn't compress it any further.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

No, RAW is unprocessed data straight from the camera sensor, uncompressed ProRes means no additional compression is being applied to a processed signal. This means that whatever sensor data has been discarded in the processing is still gone, but all the data that remains is preserved.

Also, I think people downplay how labor intensive shooting RAW is on your computer. I bought a maxxed out brand new 2016 MBP (the one before the newest one) and I still have trouble editing and experimenting with a lot of RAW footage. I shot my first music video in RAW and decided to never shoot RAW again. RAW slows my workflow speed down by an easy 30-40%

Let's say I shoot Raw on SD cards and prores on external. Can I edit everything in prores in Adobe premiere then re link the prores files to raw?

Bryce, I understand what you are trying to get to but I think it is detrimental to device a workflow to work around for getting to just capturing raw. I suggest you try ProRes HQ in film mode and see how much you can work with it. You might just end up liking it. If you insist in BMD cameras 4K in Raw, then buy this and 2 1tb Samsung Evo SSD and your storage problem to shoot 5 hrs or more of raw 4k will be solved.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...st_to_ssd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_1tb_2_5.html