Thread: Feedback

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Feedback 
    Hi guys. I'm almost finished a new video for a client (a photo software company). They wanted a short doc/profile of a local photographer, and this is what I got so far and am looking for some feedback (what works, what doesn't, the colour, music, etc). Shot on the 4.6k with mainly a Canon 10-18, Sigma 18-35.

Edit: Here is the finished video:
    https://vimeo.com/200302380

https://vimeo.com/197811838/d9b9232738
    Last edited by wyatt; 01-20-2017 at 04:41 PM.

awesome, loved the consistent grading and helicopter shots

I put it up on a small Samsung 4k tv at a light level suitable for grading. Looked fabulous. The car entrance scene at 18 seconds is a bit too dark on my screen.

Audio is clean and clear, foley matches well.

Overall, it captivated my attention the way your work always does.
    Last edited by Marckusw; 01-02-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Drop dead gorgeous!

Really nice cut too, but I really felt the music was too slow. It is a very slow droning piece that started to hold back the story of the narrative because the long droning notes don't change at the pace that your narration changed over the course of the story. Also the music moves slower than your cuts do. This made the piece feel overly drown out and dragging to me.
    A quicker tempo and more evolution in the music composition would really help move these GORGEOUS visuals along.

Now, I'm a composer so I'm sensitive to things like this, but I think the general listeners can be greatly affected by it too.

And I'll admit immediately - it's NOT easy. Creating a piece of music that matches THOSE visuals can certainly be as difficult to do as creating the visuals themselves.

Thanks for sticking around this forum Wyatt - we are REALLY lucky to have you.

EDIT: ..and the audio on the voice was perfect. (I just wish your subject was a little more confident of a speaker...but don't we ALWAYS wish that!?)
    Last edited by DPStewart; 01-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Dane, appreciate the detailed comments. Yes, I completely agree regarding the music, as does the client. I feel it works to about 60-70 seconds but then it starts to drag on, making the piece feel longer than it actually is. I'm in the process of searching for a different track.

Re: audio for his voice. Yes, interviews are tricky. I do feel that sometimes the best ineterviewees are people who generally don't do them as it can feel more authentic.

Thanks for having me on this forum. I've been super busy lately, but will be posting more coming up.

I'm not sure about your last shot. Given what Tom is saying, that last shot should be one of the landscape photos he loves, not a shot of the artist. Well, that's all I found that hasn't already been mentioned. Lots of inspiring video there but working the photographer's photos is us important to me and hopefully fits in with the client's objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    I'm not sure about your last shot. Given what Tom is saying, that last shot should be one of the landscape photos he loves, not a shot of the artist. Well, that's all I found that hasn't already been mentioned. Lots of inspiring video there but working the photographer's photos is us important to me and hopefully fits in with the client's objectives.
    Thanks Rick. Never thought of doing that actually. Maybe that could work well.

Thanks jrd for the feedback (not sure where your post went?)

Beautiful! The forest shots all look so damned good.

Yes, the music needs to be more dynamic. Part of the issues is that his vocal inflections are somewhat droning and don't always convey what he is saying with the intonation. That's fairly common. He's not a voice-over artist! However, that's a very good reason to give his delivery a shot in the arm by supporting it with music that has more shape.

Also, there is variety in the imagery, so I don't see any reason to have the music be so monolithic.

Cheers and great work!

O

Quote Originally Posted by _OZ View Post
    Beautiful! The forest shots all look so damned good.

Yes, the music needs to be more dynamic. Part of the issues is that his vocal inflections are somewhat droning and don't always convey what he is saying with the intonation. That's fairly common. He's not a voice-over artist! However, that's a very good reason to give his delivery a shot in the arm by supporting it with music that has more shape.

Also, there is variety in the imagery, so I don't see any reason to have the music be so monolithic.

Cheers and great work!

O
    Thanks OZ!