Thread: Feedback

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Great piece! Like you said, the music works the first 60 seconds or so, would love to see it build up. Filmstro is pretty nice, maybe you could give it a try.

Mark,

What can I say-- the craft and sensibility with which you approach each of your projects shines in this short portrait of Tom, and it's such a pleasure to have a chance to enjoy your your work here. I live and often work in a coniferous forest (of redwoods and douglas firs) and I would say that your musical instincts in this piece are spot on. The score is, in my opinion, a great complement to the rhythm and tone of the piece and do not at all distract me from the story, so don't be compelled to build it up unnecessarily.

I also have no issues with the "confidence" of the speaker-- I wish more short docs these days presented real voices, with all the quirks and vulnerabilities that make us unique.

Your evolution as a filmmaker is evident in every iteration of your work, and I look forward to seeing what may be in store for you this year.

Thanks again for sharing, and happy new year.

Cheers,

FabiŠn
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

Fabulous! If I were the client I would be very happy indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Super well done, love the colouring you've done here. It isn't overly stylized and I really adore that about it since it fits the photographer quite well.
    How did you go about doing those push in shots at the very beginning? You weren't on a gimbal there were ya?

Hey Wyatt,

I'll do the music for you for free if you put some shots of my sister in it... she's having a hard time gittin' a man.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Looks great. I wonder if the black level could come down a touch in most shots? The photography community love their contrasty images!

An absolutely stunning video that completely misses the mark. I'd hire you in a second, I only saw 8 stills from dude for a total of about 10 seconds, is his work any good? Maybe but I don't know how I'd know from watching this.

Quote Originally Posted by all2human View Post
    Mark,

What can I say-- the craft and sensibility with which you approach each of your projects shines in this short portrait of Tom, and it's such a pleasure to have a chance to enjoy your your work here. I live and often work in a coniferous forest (of redwoods and douglas firs) and I would say that your musical instincts in this piece are spot on. The score is, in my opinion, a great complement to the rhythm and tone of the piece and do not at all distract me from the story, so don't be compelled to build it up unnecessarily.

I also have no issues with the "confidence" of the speaker-- I wish more short docs these days presented real voices, with all the quirks and vulnerabilities that make us unique.

Your evolution as a filmmaker is evident in every iteration of your work, and I look forward to seeing what may be in store for you this year.

Thanks again for sharing, and happy new year.

Cheers,

FabiŠn
    Thank you Fabian for the nice comments. Big fan of your work.

Obviously editing and music is very subjective. I find at certain times the piece works well, and other times I think it needs to be longer with different music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Fabulous! If I were the client I would be very happy indeed. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Ade!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyVi View Post
    Super well done, love the colouring you've done here. It isn't overly stylized and I really adore that about it since it fits the photographer quite well.
    How did you go about doing those push in shots at the very beginning? You weren't on a gimbal there were ya?
    Thanks Jimmy. I was handheld and slowly moving toward the subject in each shot. In post I the 60p foorage to 24p and added a bit of stabilization, and a bit of post crop zoom.