Thread: Alan Roberts lab tests URSA Mini 4.6k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Alan Roberts lab tests URSA Mini 4.6k 
    Don't see this thread anywhere so here you go.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/01/0...t-used-in-raw/

Very interesting read. Recommends raw at ISO 400 over ProRes, but includes sharpness tests showing downsampled ProRes superior to raw out of the camera. A camera that relies upon post processing to bring out the best results.

I'm not very surprised that a non-broadcast camera didn't pass broadcast specifications. Next they should test and see if a Toyota Corolla is any good at off-road.

Also, the fact that he only wants to touch in-camera stuff is silly in my opinion. I understand the methodology but the camera comes with Resolve Studio! That's like ordering a burger and fries and throwing away the fries. Resolve is an integral part of the system.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    I'm not very surprised that a non-broadcast camera didn't pass broadcast specifications. Next they should test and see if a Toyota Corolla is any good at off-road.

Also, the fact that he only wants to touch in-camera stuff is silly in my opinion. I understand the methodology but the camera comes with Resolve Studio! That's like ordering a burger and fries and throwing away the fries. Resolve is an integral part of the system.
    Not silly at all. Not every DP/Camera operator gets to control their footage. Sometimes they have to pass it along as is, so it's good to know what cameras are technically capable of in all scenarios, especially when it comes to the broadcast side which can be very tough when it comes to specs. But for anyone not dealing with that type of scenario, then it comes down to whether it looks good or can at least be graded to look good or any way you want. I think the article even mentions that for people delivering for web or other non broadcast related deliverables, the article will be less relevant for, although still useful.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post

He seems pretty open to the idea that it's a great camera if you are able/willing to do the post work. I think it's good to be upfront about that and manage expectations.

Alan Roberts test shows just over 14 stops of DR in RAW.
    How does his test for the the Red Dragon sensor compare?
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 01-03-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp View Post
    He seems pretty open to the idea that it's a great camera if you are able/willing to do the post work. I think it's good to be upfront about that and manage expectations.
    Mini 4.6k is suppose to be a camera that requires fewer post processing compared with the competition. I think this tests is to demonstrate broadcast worthiness but even so you would expect post processing RED footage would require more work.

It's like testing a film camera, without considering the stock and lab process.
    If you have a raw camera, "developing" in post is a integral part of the process.

Would somebody tell Ansel Adams, that he needs to hand of his material, or would the result be better, when he handles the lab work?
    "Handing off" material is a ENG/Broadcast habit, nothing to do with cinematography.

And yeah, IMHO every cinematographer should be able to "develop" his material in post.

"The performance is reminiscent of cameras having the colour matrix after the gamma correction, which is the wrong way round for best performance."

I'm not sure how they do it now, but if they were doing it this way, I wonder what the performance would be like if they took his advice.
    Freelance Video Person

Cameras: Blackmagic URSA, Canon 5D Mark II with Blackmagic Video Assist

I don't understand what kind of post processing he thinks is necessary for the UM4.6k. Adjusting levels and white point to bring the log into rec 709 space? Or is he saying the gamma is not correct, which makes me curious to ask, what sort of correction could be made. I've seen that pink issue he talks about but it only happens when i'm not using my IR filter (an absolute necessity for this camera).