Thread: To SSD Raid 0 or HDD Raid 0 for Resolve sceatch

1. #1 To SSD Raid 0 or HDD Raid 0 for Resolve sceatch 
    So for the life of my PC tat is dedicated for DaVinci Resolve 12.5 I have always used the fastest SSD configured to RAID 0 for the scratch discs. However a couple of times now I have had run into problems with RAID 0 causing drive failures without any chance of recovery (well I do recover from backup). But the worse is that when it fails I would have to start from scratch. I have learned from other people experiences that SSD configured as RAID 0 are more prone to failures than HDD configured as RAID 0. My understanding is that RAID 0 is best configured with HDD than SSD. So I am in a quandary as to how best to take on my next move since my RAID 0 SSD just failed the third time yesterday and I lost my work that didn't get into my nightly backups. The SSD drives are fine (Samsung EVO 850). So here are my choices for what I am considering:

1. Rebuild RAID 0 with the existing SSD drives (2 drives).
    2. Replace the SSD with 2 7200RPM HDD and set it up as RAID 0.
    3. Partition the existing SSDs as 2 logical drives (No RAID).

I don't want to do a RAID 10 as it does slow down from what I am told and I'm better off with an HDD Raid 0 from a performance standpoint.

Anyone experienced the same situation and made a better decision? Thoughts and recommendations are very much appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE TOO!!!

A single SSD is typically faster than a two drive RAID 0 so the only reason to do this is for extra capacity. Makes more sense to buy larger SSD's or build Raid arrays with spinners if you need a lot of space. RAiD 10 is not the most space efficient, but it is the most reliable for backup and speed combined.

Are SSD's still having problems with lots of write cycles? I know they're okay for quick reads but I thought that repeated write cycles shortens their lives.

I believe that the SSD write cycles are giving me the issues which have resulted to failures. But I am going to give it another chance with RAID 0 configuration. I did used just 1 SSD and at 24fps 4K (4 nodes and filters), the same clip playback was between 23-24fps while at 2 SSD RAID 0, same playback was at 24fps all throughout. Not a scientific test but it was noticeable. Thanks for your feedbacks.

For Resolve scratch, I use the 1TB very fast flash drive in the iMac 27" late 2015. But the new flash memory in the MacBook Pro is even faster! Not a dirt cheap solution, but it may work for some folks.

I ran my Pegasus2 R6 with 4TB HDD drives in RAID 0 for a while, with write speeds over 1GB/s, but got nervous and reconfigured it to RAID 10 with half the performance. Sleep easier.