Thread: Who the hell designs for Edelkrone??!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    There are various models, with the top one traveling 2.9 feet.
    2.9 feet is plenty for about a zillion shots.

There IS a point at which what you really want is a dolly... but even a 12-inch slide can be more visually pronounced than people often assume.

Again it comes down to being a useful tool. If the "pocket size" of the Edelkrone means that you're more likely to HAVE IT WITH YOU then it becomes a highly useful tool.
    It really heavily depends on what kind of shooting you do. - If you're in a studio all day then in makes no sense...get a full on dolly. If you have the time and a crew then get a bigger nicer slider... if you're moving FAST or you're stealing shots, then these "pocket" devices are going to be the absolute winners.

Or just sell a kidney and buy one of each!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Yeh for what I shoot this is not practical...I'm no run and gun shooter. 90% of stuff I do is crew based with a big camera rig ect. BUT if i was a run and gun shooter, especially if I traveled alot being a one man band, I def see the use in this tool. This is also great for weddings...which I avoid like the plague.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    weddings...which I avoid like the plague.
    Hahaha! Yeah, I could think of 20 different reasons I agree with this sentiment!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

The designer is also one of the owners of the company (or the sole owner?), Kadir, pretty clever guy, definitely impressive concept and design skills. I met these guys back in 2011 in their first NAB, and then again in 2013.

As others noted, their designs are pretty clever, but not very practical in real sets where reliability and perfection is needed. They can be useful for the occasional shooter, but everything I have from them, and I even own one of their 3 first Pocket rig prototypes, has been a bit of a hit and miss.

Their slider in their first edition had issues, same for their follow focus. Their customer service is great, but after using their stuff, I've felt that their releases are more or less betas/prototypes, that eventually -after people buying them and using them- might have their issues ironed out in 2nd, 3rd versions.

It's normal for a new company if you think about it, and I'm always excited to see what they design next, but I've decided not to be the guinea pig after a couple of burns.

This looks fantastic and adds versatility to wedding shooting that I've not been able to get before.

I work a lot in quick little one man set ups and this looks fantastic.

I've been looking at Edelkrone for a little bit now and have been impressed by what they offer.

Will be getting one, no doubt.

There are various models, with the top one traveling 2.9 feet.
    A bit disingenuous to say, don't you think? This is a thread about the Wing, none of which travel more than 1.3 feet. Yes, Edelkrone makes a slider that travels 2.9 feet, but it is not the Wing. The one that travels 2.9 feet is 25 inches in length. The Wing, however, is only 7 inches long when folded up.

https://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/187/wing
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    A bit disingenuous to say, don't you think? This is a thread about the Wing, none of which travel more than 1.3 feet. Yes, Edelkrone makes a slider that travels 2.9 feet, but it is not the Wing. The one that travels 2.9 feet is 25 inches in length. The Wing, however, is only 7 inches long when folded up.

Good clarification.
    I looked further - the 'WING' only moves 1.3 feet.
    The 3 different sizes are only to support 3 different max payloads.

Clever is a good word for it. But I echo jpblack's comment above.
    I've had their Slider Plus Pro Large slider before (2.3 feet of travel, they rated it to handle up to 26 lb cameras). I used it with the D16 (rigged out to about 10 or 11 lbs with a S16 cine zoom). It was OK, but not amazing. Felt quite weak for the camera weights they marketed it at. I wasn't even hitting the 50% mark of the rated weight and it had a good bit of glitchiness to it. A small little catch here where the carriage would travel over the tripod mount, a crimp there towards the end of the travel, and it would sag when fully extended. It all seemed like the camera was just too heavy and was pushing the limits of what the gear could do. So I think their stuff is fine if you're working with smaller cams that don't get much above 7 or 8 lbs rigged out. If you're shooting a Pocket or a Micro then this would be handy, but I would get the next step up. Get the Wing 15 for use with any camera they market the Wing 7 for. But if you have anything above that 7 lbs range (like a UM4k or UM46) I'd skip it and go with a Dana dolly, Rhino, Kessler cine, iShark or similar "proper" slider. I wouldn't use any of their stuff with anything bigger than DSLR sized cams.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post

Is disingenuous really the word you meant to use?

Sorry, the conversation took a turn at post #7 about the other sliders, and your answer fell right underneath it even though it was clearly quoting another question.

I was too quick to jump the gun, my bad, but it wasn't disingenuous. ha

Is disingenuous really the word you meant to use?

Sorry, the conversation took a turn at post #7 about the other sliders, and your answer fell right underneath it even though it was clearly quoting another question.

I was too quick to jump the gun, my bad, but it wasn't disingenuous. ha
    Whether it was your intention or not, it felt like it was. I responded to someone who asked how long the Wing was. I provided the right answer but then then you quoted my response and gave another. That makes it look like you're correcting a mistake that I made.

I wasn't going to say anything about it, but then when I saw you mislead Dane into thinking there was a Wing that was 2.9', I had to jump in. Forums and other special interest groups are, by nature, echo chambers. We really have to be careful to prevent wrong information from being spread around.
    Aaron Lochert