Thread: Alternative for Neat Video as plug-in for (free version of) Resolve?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Alternative for Neat Video as plug-in for (free version of) Resolve? 
    I'd like to apply noise reduction (especially for macro blocking) inside the free version of Resolve. I'm stubborn as a mule and refuse to pay four times the standard cost of Neat Video just to use it within Resolve.

Any decent alternative OFX-compatible plug-ins?

Well, I understand the frustration. OFX plugins do seem to be more expensive in general. I wanted Tiffen DFX for Resolve but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to them being far more expensive than the video plugin versions.
    But, I think you will be hard pressed to find a NR tool as good as Neat Video or the full version of Resolve for anywhere near the price point. Boris has a NR tool as well but even that is expensive for OFX.So, your options may be to bring your noisy footage into another NLE first to use the cheaper version of Neat Video but honestly I would just spend the $250. If you deal with a lot of noisy footage it will pay for itself on the first couple of projects.

My experience is the same as what Steve describes here. -^

It was either a Resolve Dongle or the Neat Video....I got a deal on the Neat Video on sale. Saved a whopping $40....
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Thanks. My understanding is that Neat Video can better handle macro blocking-style noise than the noise reduction element of Resolve. Perhaps I'll just grumble and buy it.

I have a C100/2 arriving in the morning. From my hire tests, everything might benefit from a touch of noise reduction for compression artefacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Thanks. My understanding is that Neat Video can better handle macro blocking-style noise than the noise reduction element of Resolve. Perhaps I'll just grumble and buy it.

I have a C100/2 arriving in the morning. From my hire tests, everything might benefit from a touch of noise reduction for compression artefacts.
    You won't grumble for long, it's that impressive for the price. :-)

One thing I would recommend though is to really dig into it. There's a lot of automagical stuff but the real power is going into the advanced modes and fine tuning everything precisely the way you want it. Capturing noise profiles for your camera under variety of camera profiles, lighting, etc will help too.

Neatvideo is cheap even in it's OFX version compared to the few high-end softwares with similar efficiency. Go for it!

I second the recommendation of making specific noise profiles for your camera since you won't always find a neutral area in your shots for sampling and digging into the manual settings.

Thanks all. It certainly looks to be great value compared to other options. But it's weirdly expensive compared to itself...

Couldn't have agreed more Ben. A few years ago I went through the same and purchased it as an AE plugin. If I could do it again I'd just buck up and bite the bullet for OFX. It gets incredibly annoying and slow to have to export to NR. Just my thoughts though!

Yeah I recommend Neat Video. Not sure what magic they are using....

While we are on the topic. I'm using a previous version of NV and was looking to upgrade.All I can find on the site is that I have to pay to upgrade. Am I missing something?

And wow the OFX price really jumped up compared to the other configurations. I believe at my time of purchase they were all equal.

I'm probably being naive, but I wonder if they'd consider some kind of group-buy for Resolve users? I guess Resolve is still seen as a high-end colouring tool, rather than this *plus* a free NLE.