Thread: The ideal prime for steadicam work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    All of the sigma Art Prime lenses are 135 aka ff35 lenses so they will also cover+

The 18-35 does cover at 20mm, but you're right it doesn't have the funk of a vintage lens.

Is your Tokina 28-70 the Tokina Angenieux cross license lens? Definitely good funk in that lens... magic
    Yes, it's the angenieux. It's incredible what that lens can do. A real bargain for the money, even if you overpay for it. I'm currently shooting almost everything with it.

I really love my Contax 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, and 100 f/2. The 28mm f/2 is next on the list, for sure.
    Aaron Lochert

Guys, I have a zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar for nikon which I ocasionally use with the UM4.6. Any difference between this lens and the contax version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Guys, I have a zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar for nikon which I ocasionally use with the UM4.6. Any difference between this lens and the contax version?

Thanks
    Good question.
    When I once looked into it I think I found they were the same optics, but that the Contax version was more easily converted to other mounts. ....IF I have that straight...
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

The Contax version is slightly more compact in size, but the same design as the Zeiss ZF/ZE. The Contax C/Y version does have 1mm lens FFD, somis eaiser to change mounts, but a Canon EF mount can be put on both models, and this is the useually mount change.
    As DPStewart said, both are optically the same. But the 50mm is a Planar design, and not the same as the 28mm Distagon diesign. The 28mm f/2.0 is also a little smaller and lighter than the 50mm f/1.8.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-30-2016 at 09:21 PM.

If weight is an issue, you could look at getting the tiny Canon 24mm 2.8 pancake.

I also affirm the Zeiss 28mm f2. Though I don't own it, I have used a full set of ZE primes on a couple of shoots, and every time I almost exclusively used the 28mm. It's just an ideal lens and as others have said has a great dimensional look to it.

One of the reasons to go for the Contax over the newer Zeiss are to have an aperture ring while also having a focus ring that turns the cinema direction. If you get the ZE, you won't have an aperture ring. If you get the ZF (which you have), the focus goes the "wrong" way. It may not matter to you if you're pulling your own focus. That's up to you to decide, but if you're working with an AC, they'll want it to be the canon/cinema direction.
    Aaron Lochert

Good point on the focus direction. This is the biggest advantage of the Contax lens, but they go for an arm and leg when available.
    I have the Zeiss ZF version to get f/stop ring, my follow focus is reversible to correct the "backwards" focus of the Nikon mount. But as a former Ni,inmshooter, I always felt the other lenses were "backwards".
    Cheers

I think in terms of ideal lens, specwise.. this Tokina comes pretty close, but it might be too expensive (arround 4k) for what you are looking for. Does anyone know if there are lenses with specs like this that are more within reach in terms of price?

http://www.tokinacinema.com/16-28mm2-T3.html