Thread: The ideal prime for steadicam work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The ideal prime for steadicam work 
    Hi guys!

Of course I won't use this lens just for steadicam work, but I really need a fantastic prime for filmmaking (in the range of 20mm), especially to fly with the UM4.6k and a glidecam. I was considering the SLR Magic APO Hyperprime 25mm with the EF-mount modification but might just be a tad too expensive. I also thought of the Leica-R primes which I always wanted to own. 2000eur would be my max. I favor optical quality (cinematic color rendering, no CA and distortions) much more than build quality (though at this price most lenses are well built).

Any recommendations?

Thanks and Merry Xmas to everyone!

A lens that hit the Cine "Sweet Spot" for me is the Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 lens, it has a nice 3-d rendered look, can get shallow DOF shots and is a great alround widish lens on the S35 format. A Zeiss Contax 28mm was nicknamed the "Hollywood Lens" snag one of you can, or get the next best thing the Zeiss ZF (has Iris ring) or ZE (Canon mount version), which is what I did. The ZF and Contax C/Y can be snitched to a EF mount quite easily, if you do not want to use an adapter.
    Happy Holidays
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-25-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    A lens that hit the Cine "Sweet Spot" for me is the Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 lens, it has a nicem3-d rendered game, can get shallow DOF shots and is a great alround widish lens on the S35 format. A Zeiss Contax 28mm was nicknamed the "Hollywood Lens" snag one of you can, or get the next best thing the Zeiss ZF (has Iris ring) or ZE (Canon mount version), which is what I did. The ZF and Contax C/Y can be snitched to a EF mount quite easily, if you do not want to use an adapter.
    Happy Holidays
    ^^ This.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

BMCuser Sponsor
    Sigma 20mm f1.4 and Sigma 24mm f1.4 are both superb lenses, fast, available in EF mount and soon a Cine special version.

The classic Zeiss 28 f2 is also very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    Sigma 20mm f1.4 and Sigma 24mm f1.4 are both superb lenses, fast, available in EF mount and soon a Cine special version.

The classic Zeiss 28 f2 is also very cool.
    Yeah! I've got the 18-35mm, I've shot with the 24mm, and I've seen the reviews on all of these fast ART primes of theirs. These should both be really good and also instantly available just about anywhere.

While I would still take that famous Zeiss over most other options in this range, they are not always available, and the Sigmas should pretty much always be a reliable alternative.

** The Sigmas are so sharp that they are Moire Monsters on the smaller BMD cameras - so beware of that folks.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    A lens that hit the Cine "Sweet Spot" for me is the Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 lens, it has a nice 3-d rendered look, can get shallow DOF shots and is a great alround widish lens on the S35 format. A Zeiss Contax 28mm was nicknamed the "Hollywood Lens" snag one of you can, or get the next best thing the Zeiss ZF (has Iris ring) or ZE (Canon mount version), which is what I did. The ZF and Contax C/Y can be snitched to a EF mount quite easily, if you do not want to use an adapter.
    Happy Holidays
    I second this. I love the 28mm on a super 35 sensor. I've been shooting mostly with Sigma's 30mm 1.4 art tho which is a nice middle ground between the 28 and 35 which is the perfect focal length on this sensor in my opinion.

Thanks guys. How do those Sigma and Zeiss Contax primes hold up against the entire 4.6k sensor? I own the Sigma 18-35 and it vignettes at 18mm. I have to zoom in a bit to get a clean image. My main goal in going for a prime at 20mm was to get a lens that would be as cinematic as possible, without big CA and other stuff that zoom lens are typically prone to. But if it won't add anything to the 18-35, I wouldn't bother spending 2k on a lens...

For example, I have a Tokina 28-70 that is prone to some CA issues, but any image I get with it, is just more interesting to my eyes, than anything out of the Sigma 18-35. Don't get me wrong, the Sigma is beautiful and incredibly neutral, but for someone with little color grading experience as me, I love a lens that gives me "that" look out of the box.

If you want more character, go for older lenses. The Sigma is near perfect, but that can look bland. No photographic full-frame lens will vignette, BTW.

The Zeiss C/Y 28mm f2 has wonderful quality, but it's not cheap any more. There are other nice and fast vintage 28mm lenses, but they normally don't adapt to EF or PL, like the Minolta SR lenses. It's a pity you can't have a short mount on the UM46.

The Zeiss and Contax lenses are 135mm lenses , and will cover the entire UM 4.6 sensor and then some. No worries here.
    Cheers

BMCuser Sponsor
    All of the sigma Art Prime lenses are 135 aka ff35 lenses so they will also cover+

The 18-35 does cover at 20mm, but you're right it doesn't have the funk of a vintage lens.

Is your Tokina 28-70 the Tokina Angenieux cross license lens? Definitely good funk in that lens... magic