Thread: Showing the curve representation of lift/gamma/gain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Showing the curve representation of lift/gamma/gain 
    I'm trying to understand how pulling shadows down and highlights up in lift/gain is similar or different than creating an S-curve. Is there any option in Resolve that allows the curve to be affected as I alter the lift/gamma/gain to show a visual representation of what is happening as I do it?

That would be an interesting visualization tool I suppose.

Strangely, I use the lift/gamma/gain constantly but I almost never use the Curve graph because I never seem to get good results with it. Perhaps the two methods reflect different ways of thinking on the user's part.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMA3TJDQwkQ

This might help. Not a direct answer to your question, but a great video on curves.

Quote Originally Posted by The HRHM View Post

This might help. Not a direct answer to your question, but a great video on curves.
    Thanks for the link! This definitely helps me understand curves better.

Quote Originally Posted by The HRHM View Post

YES!
    This helps A LOT, mate.

I've never used a Curve adjuster before with the ability to lock down dropper-selected points. That makes a HUGE difference. Resolve kills it AGAIN.

Great tutorial for sure.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    I'm trying to understand how pulling shadows down and highlights up in lift/gain is similar or different than creating an S-curve. Is there any option in Resolve that allows the curve to be affected as I alter the lift/gamma/gain to show a visual representation of what is happening as I do it?
    If you want to see a graphical representation of the different primaries controls export then import a monochrome gradient. The waveform will look just like the curves editor window. This isn't going to work for an actual footage but should give you a good idea of the difference between the tools.

this function is a basic part of the Baselight UI, and very usefull indeed, it's right below the exp/cont/sat wheels;

as someone esle said, in Resolve pull a ramp from the timeline tools, and create a compund clip of it, or import at linear gradient and pull/push the LGG controls to visualise what the tools are doing.. not nearly as elegant as Baselight, but one could say that about almost every tool in Resolve....

- open Effects Library
    - add Grey Scale generator to timeline above any footage (this needed because gradient generator itself can not be visible in Clips strip).
    - go to Color page
    - set scopes to Waveform mode
    - add color correction node to timeline and do your tests and adjustments.

now you get a perfect visual representation of what is happening.

p.s. it is better don't use gradients generated in photoshop or other external software for this reason because they are not linear, and because it all depends of timeline gamma a lot.
    Last edited by shijan; 12-26-2016 at 05:02 AM.

Where the Baselight Ui has the advantage is that one does not need to stop work ona shot, save the grade and apply a grade over a ramp to see the curves on a scope.. the curves window in the center of the Baselight UI shows the resualts of the grade, identical to putting the grade over a ramp, but without haveing to stop work to put the grade over a ramp...

I find that piece of the Baselight UI very usefull, there is no functional eqlivent in Resolve, only a timewasteing work around detailed above several times...

the actual working curves menu in Baselight is under the tabs just right of the wheels, the UI is a graphic display of the changes in the grade only

Resolve has far better edit, audio and conform tools, but the color tools are pretty rough when compared to the shear elegance and depth of tools on offer in Baselight or Nucoda in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    - open Effects Library
    - add Grey Scale generator to timeline above any footage (this needed because gradient generator itself can not be visible in Clips strip).
    - go to Color page
    - set scopes to Waveform mode
    - add color correction node to timeline and do your tests and adjustments.

now you get a perfect visual representation of what is happening.

p.s. it is better don't use gradients generated in photoshop or other external software for this reason because they are not linear, and because it all depends of timeline gamma a lot.
    Thanks! I will try this.