Thread: DIY sub $150 Bowens S Mount LED.

1. #1 DIY sub $150 Bowens S Mount LED. 
    It's a Christmas miracle! The project I've been working on for a couple of months has finally come together. I wanted to try making an Aputure 120 like Bowens mount LED light with a Yuji 100w High CRI LED and a 3d printed enclosure, but didn't find any guides on the web so I took it upon myself to give it a try. It took a fair amount of fiddling on and off for a while, but a rough version of the light has finally come together!

It uses this Bowens mount flash bracket with a Yuji 100w 5600k LED in the middle of it. The LED is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler with two fans attached to it running slow enough as to be practically silent. I used the wiring and parts from this 100w LED project.

It's definitely still a little rough around the edges and there are some kinks to work out, but I'm really psyched with how this project turned out!

3.jpg5.jpg1.jpg4.jpgIMG_1703.jpg

So very cool! Should you get an fresnel lens Id love some photometrics.
    Cheers
    Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim, I'll probably make the 3d file for the enclosure available once some of the kinks are worked out.

Awesome results man. I can tell you spent some time on this. The 3D Printed enclosure looks quite legit! Good job.

Great job Wyatt.

Of course most of the success and the ease of this project light depends on that great 3D printed housing you've designed.

You should consider making and selling the housing for members here who want to build a light like this.

You might be surprised how many orders you'd get!

Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Awesome project, mate.

How much did all of the materials end up costing?

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Great job Wyatt.

Of course most of the success and the ease of this project light depends on that great 3D printed housing you've designed.

You should consider making and selling the housing for members here who want to build a light like this.

You might be surprised how many orders you'd get!

Thanks for the suggestion DPStewart. Yeah, the enclosure is definitely important to the project. I can't take all the credit for the design though, my father is an industrial designer and did most of the design related heavy lifting there. That's why it looks so good.

Quote Originally Posted by kroaton View Post
    Awesome project, mate.

How much did all of the materials end up costing?
    Right now everything adds up to a bit above $150 USD so sub $150 might not be entirely accurate. Some of the things have gone up in price since I bought them, but the Yuji LED is on sale right now.