Thread: Let's talk about eliminating reflections off the back of filters in your stack!

1. #1 Let's talk about eliminating reflections off the back of filters in your stack! 
    So, this has been a bit of a pain in the ass little bit recently with small reflections bouncing off of the back of filters on a couple of shots. I've got a Bright Tangerine MB with their universal donut, so it's not light leaking from behind the MB, but rather reflections off the back of the filters themselves. Short of buying a MB with filter trays that tilt....what can I do?

I often shoot with IRND and diffusion. I've tried both IRND & diffusion furthest from the lens, but have had reflections on both of those. I'd imagine that IRND should always be up front, but perhaps someone with more brains than I can comment on this. My solution on this has been to eliminate the diffusion when it's been a crucial shot, though I'd like to not have to do so!

Anyone have some ideas to offer

There was a REALLY good thread about this over at RED User. I think Roger Deakins was in on it too.
    He had some very specific ideas on how to manage this.

Maybe a smart search might dig that thread up.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Hrm I SUPPOSE I'll take some advice from Roger Deakins if no one else comes forward. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually that search just found me a piece of advice from David Mullen that is so simple...it's dumb that I didn't think of it. Instead of locking my swing away MB, I'll just leave it offset enough to lose the reflection (since I can't put two trays together due to the slots).

On the Misfit that bracket that allows you to tilt the filters to avoid reflections is $80 USD. I took a pass on it, until I find I really need it. I'll likely get it at some point when I add the top flag as well. Maybe next year.

Tilt tray.

I believe BT were going to make one when I spoke to them last.

http://www.brighttangerine.com/produ...misfit-atom/94 (about half way down)

PV make a tilt tray for theirs.... You can fudge it in multi stage matteboxes by removing a tray and tilting that way.

JB

Thanks John, I'll be on the lookout for a BT tilt tray. Until then I'll just angle my swing away bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Thanks John, I'll be on the lookout for a BT tilt tray. Until then I'll just angle my swing away bracket.
    That can work too, just be carefull the donut doesn't leak any light on the angle and on some matteboxes, it can also swing away by itself with a mild tilt of the camera in the right direction, meaning your mattebox swings open mid shot !

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    That can work too, just be carefull the donut doesn't leak any light on the angle and on some matteboxes, it can also swing away by itself with a mild tilt of the camera in the right direction, meaning your mattebox swings open mid shot !

JB
    I'm going to see if I can rig some way in which I can have the swing away off, but still secure...since I'd imagine anything but a mostly static tripod shot would cause it to swing open. Even if I have their rubber donut on, which at least gives some resistance. But perhaps I should just be smart and buy their tilt bracket.

It's probably something I won't use hardly at all, but the crucial one or two times will justify the cost.
    Last edited by robmneilson; 12-24-2016 at 11:18 AM.