Thread: SLR Magic Vari ND Mk2 - questions for owners

1. #1 SLR Magic Vari ND Mk2 - questions for owners 
    I just received mine. A little disappointed with the build/QC. The movement is somewhat 'gritty', like the filter edges are rubbing against each other when adjusting. My other VNDs have been much smoother.

Can anyone comment? Have you found the same thing with yours? I contacted the dealer and they seem to suggest I was being fussy. Maybe they're right.

Separately, I can't see how the rear ring adjusts. Mine won't budge. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Ben

Yeah...mine has that 'gritty' feel to it too. But it's never been a problem. It goes away the more you use it.
    I've been using this one and the first version for a couple years now - and the quality has really held up just fine.
    I have had other expensive filters have that gritty feel when they were new too.

The back locking ring... it's TIGHT when shipped. Basically it's stuck. Mine was this way, and so was Rick Lang's. But once you get it unstuck it won't stick again. It's just a locking ring that you use to screw down against the front of the lens (or underlying filter) once you've got the polarizing position you want in place.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Thanks, I'll live with it

You don't really want to live with it. It can be surprisingly wpeasy to free up when you stumble across the right technique. After you've been struggling with the effort to free it, the best thing is actually a very light touch. Either slightly pressing in or pulling out with a light twist. It's likely due to some binding of which the physics escapes me. Once you get it loose, you'll be unlikely to tighten it all the way in the future. I keep all my rings loose and I've got some complex pairings going on to boot.