Thread: Very basic grading for BMPCC video?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would think the OP is referring to normalizing the film log footage as opposed to grading. I too find that a simple conversion lut is more than enough if footage is consistently shot. I'd like to know an easy way to do the basic conversion in premiere for the guys I work with. We shoot ProRes Film and they start editing right away on the camera originals, saving grading for the end, which I do in resolve, while hoping for the budget to pay a real coloristic ha ha. It would be cool if there was a non destructive lut that they could use for monitoring or rendering previews, but could be toggled off for pre mastering. Any suggestions, I'm not a premiere user myself..

The "lumetri" effect in premiere has a function to apply luts. I'd recommend applying them to the master clip, which is very easy to do, so that the grade will be applied wherever and whenever the clip is used. Alternately they could put a LUT on an adjustment layer that spans the duration of their timeline and then just lock the track so that they can "set and forget". When they want to take the LUT off, simply shut off the visibility for the adjustment layer track. This won't work in older versions of premiere without Lumetri, but there are 3rd party apps for applying LUTs in premiere I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I'd like to know an easy way to do the basic conversion in premiere
    It's definitely not as easy in PP as it is in Resolve. For starters, I haven't been able to locate or recreate the LUT that Resolve uses to go from BMD Film to Rec.709. In the absence of such, I find that increasing the Contrast and Saturation parameters to 100 on the Basic tab of Lumetri will do the trick well enough. Use an Adjustment Layer over all clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    It's definitely not as easy in PP as it is in Resolve. For starters, I haven't been able to locate or recreate the LUT that Resolve uses to go from BMD Film to Rec.709. In the absence of such, I find that increasing the Contrast and Saturation parameters to 100 on the Basic tab of Lumetri will do the trick well enough. Use an Adjustment Layer over all clips.
    It's in the resolve LUT folder with all the rest. On Windows, that's C:/Program Data/Blackmagic Design/Davinci Resolve/Support/LUT/

Personally I'm not a fan of either version though. The way it handles highlights is unflattering imo. But it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RyLo View Post
    It's in the resolve LUT folder with all the rest.
    Unfortunately, that does not work in Adobe software. Something is weird about Resolve LUTs.