Thread: Very basic grading for BMPCC video?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Very basic grading for BMPCC video? 
    I don't want to do anything fancy, but I have some BMPCC prores proxy footage recorded in film mode, that I wish to convert to something easier on the eyes. I guess that means converting to video mode, with more contrast and more vivid colors.

Are there any LUTS for filmconvert or davinci resolve that I can jjust drop in and use for this?

Yep, there are LUTs in Resolve to convert BMD film. But you'll probably need to do some adjustment before the LUT, eg bringing the highlights down. Have a quick look on YouTube - plenty of tutorials.

In Resolve, set the Input 3D LUT to Rec 709. That'll get you 90% of the way there (assuming a decent shot to begin with).

Although I do use Resolve for raw files, I normally do CC with ProRes in FCPX... I created several simple presets in Color. I can then simply crush or open blacks and tweak color depending on the shot... takes about 10 seconds and I'm in the application I choose to use for editing, especially for long projects...

To be honest my trick is in Premiere Pro, Use the fast color corrector, input black level to about 15 and saturation level to 200. Easiest way and footage looks great. Can be done in any video editor TBH.

I honestly do not understand why the standard default Resolve function of applying the REC.709 to the Pocket footage is not recognized for what it is - FUNDAMENTALLY ACCURATE.
    90% of stuff I see people post from the Pocket camera would look better if they just did NOTHING to it but leave the Resolve 12 rec.709 LUT on it.

Sure - it can be refined from there absolutely - but if I get one more compliment on my "great color grading" when I've done nothing to it...I'm going to lose my mind.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I honestly do not understand why the standard default Resolve function of applying the REC.709 to the Pocket footage is not recognized for what it is - FUNDAMENTALLY ACCURATE.
    90% of stuff I see people post from the Pocket camera would look better if they just did NOTHING to it but leave the Resolve 12 rec.709 LUT on it.

Sure - it can be refined from there absolutely - but if I get one more compliment on my "great color grading" when I've done nothing to it...I'm going to lose my mind.
    Yep and desaturate the shadows, bring up the eyes, chase skin colour and most everything is done.
    Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
    http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
    www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    That's why I love it. Very little additional adjustments are necessary after that one simple function.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    That's why I love it. Very little additional adjustments are necessary after that one simple function.
    Maybe, but that process couldn't be described as color grading. "Normalizing" the footage would be a more accurate description, though normalizing is certainly an advance over the log-look stuff you usually see ("I did it that way on purpose!").

Quote Originally Posted by jrd View Post
    Maybe, but that process couldn't be described as color grading.
    In the sense that "correction" is a technical process and "grading" is a creative one, I would agree.

I just happen to prefer the look of BM colors, and normally find no need to "grade" any further.