Thread: Binaural Microphones for Pocket Camera

1. #1 Binaural Microphones for Pocket Camera 
    I'm planning a trip to NYC for the first time in March next year and I'd love to record parts of the city without bringing excessive amounts of audio gear to get better than average sound. I just want to look like any regular, stupid tourist!

I like keeping the camera small and really unobtrusive when traveling to avoid drawing too much attention to myself, but audio is always a problem. On camera mics tend to be larger than the pocket camera so I started looking into other options.

I did a little digging and found some in-ear binaural mics that seem to fit the bill; I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any mics of this type, especially with use on the pocket camera. I'm keeping it down to just the bare camera, one zoom lens, and a JuiceBox battery. The ones I'm considering include the Roland CS-10EM, one of the Soundman OKM II mics (With A3 power supply), and the Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 with Power Supply.

Hi,
    try this one, I have heard only good things about it:
    http://www.ohrwurmaudio.eu/ohrwurm-x.html

Have you ever thought about just getting some lav mics and just doing double duty with them? I was thinking about selling my pair of Rode NT2 A(great sound for stereo ambient and super low noise floor, but bulky) and replacing it with some cheap pencil Omni mics or B6 lavs that I already have. I haven't tried it, but get a small recorder (zoom, etc or those new tascam lav recorders) for the ambient rig. I'm sure you can rig up something that's incognito.
    Last edited by The HRHM; 12-18-2016 at 01:16 AM.

the sound professional's caught my interest, i like the way they sit inside the ear and the video showing them as in use were impressive.

Yea, most of the samples I've heard all of the mics mentioned sounded great. I'm leaning towards the sound professionals myself for the same reason. They're also the most discreet and I can get them relatively quickly and return easier than the others. I'm not a fan of the Roland myself, but I thought I'd included them anyway.

i would call this out of the box in general so please post a link to a clip of what you get. really inerasted. i'm in canada so not so quick to get or return.